who escapes more often, those born into it or adult converts?

by kid-A 74 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Being an adult convert with not a single family member in da troof, it was very easy for me to leave once I did some digging and critical thinking about the religion.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Its hard to say. I know without a doubt I would NEVER have become a dub if I hadn't been born into it.

I agree GBL. I don't think I would have thought twice about it. It would have not even interested me. There are all the variables we do not know, but I just cant see myself being interested.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The youngsters escape most often.

Either when they discover what their "sexual parts are for", or because the whole life is so empty lonely and depressing and lacking in fun that they want out.

Natural selection dictates scattering DNA which is why yoofs are so horny. The witless existence as it is now recommended and defined is the dream of a bunch of ancient professional virgins (except for Theo Greenlees).

The survival urge for the species will always win.

HB

• kazar
    kazar

I am an adult convert and no one else in my family is a JW. Of the Witnesses I know, only one other besides me escaped and she was a convert and a good friend to me. I agree that there has to be a crisis in someone's life to make a person put aside their critical thinking. The friend I am referring to converted a few days after her mother took her own life by hanging, and my friend was the one who found her. A few days later JW's rang her doorbell and she took it as a sign from God and converted. At any rate my friend actually escaped before I did. I held on much longer.

I was 17 when I met the Witnesses and converted soon after, so at 17 I really don't know if I would be considered an adult. I am surprised that so many on this forum were raised ias JW's. I was of the belief that those who left JW's were converts. This has been an interesting post. Learn something everyday.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Put me on the "almost born into it" list. My mother started studying shortly after I was born. I got oone christmas, and I cherish the pictures- proof that my parents were normal once, and I am glad that my mother was too sentimental to throw them out. I also got a cupcake for my first birthday with a candle, and that was it. I started to fade when I was 18 - as soon as I married and moved out of the house and was in charge of whether I felt like going or not. Completed my fade almost 10 years ago now.

• Sushi Crow
    Sushi Crow

I was born into it. My entire family was converted - wait, they don't call it "conversion" do they? Or was that just my family that doesn't use that term...been a long time.

Someone (sorry don't remember who) said that they began questioning at 9 years old. I didn't believe in God from my earliest childhood memories. My homelife was so traumatizing that the concept totally escaped me (figured God would have answered my prayers.)

I was trying to convince my parents not to go to meetings from a very young age (so that I wouldn't have to go.) I had completely stopped going by the time I was a teen. I was a wild child, so they eventually gave up on me :) They're all still in it, one in Bethel (for about 30 years now - ugh...)

Sushi Crow

• lucky
    lucky

I was almost born into it. My mom got baptized when I was 2. It took me 8 years to leave after I got baptized, though.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I was born in.I feel I always had logical doubts as a youngster.I would ask questions Why did't jehoba just get rid of satan?or why doesn't jehovah care about my friends who aren't witnesses?There answers never satisfied me,because deep down I knew it didn't make sense.But,when your forced into a routine,and feel you have to go to the meetings and service,you just try to make the best of it.You learn to disguise how you feel,or even block it out all together.When the people you think you should trust are a bunch of brainwashed dopes,{parents,elders,other "authority figures"}its a recipe for pain,mental,emotional,physical pain.It becomes more like a social club,but you also believe I guess.

In answer to the question--------born in escapes more than converted.IMHO

STP

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Back in 1984 when I left the JWs those raised in the religion like myself had a much higher drop out rate than converts. I think that is probably true today as converts made the decision to join on their own and weren't forced into the religion by their parents.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    The friend I am referring to converted a few days after her mother took her own life by hanging, and my friend was the one who found her.

Yeah, they got my dad in a prison in Canada. Once he was gung-ho, of course, he raised his family as witnesses.

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit