who escapes more often, those born into it or adult converts?

by kid-A 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

It's quite difficult to walk away for us that have been born into this religion. I speak from experience.

I've just learned to cope with that fact, and try to concentrate in the positive aspects in order to keep my sanity.

DY

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Born into it. Baptised aged 16. Left aged 30.

Lets face it, if you choose to go into it in adulthood you are a needy loony bucket (apologies to all current or ex needy loony buckets, no offence intended!!)

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"For me the social part failed, the religious part failed, the music sucked, and the food was terrible. "

I'll agree with all of that, except for the last part. Well, OK ... if you're talking about the half frozen burritos and the lame sandwiches at the assemblies in the 70s and early 80s, then yeah ... the food sucked. But if you're talking about food at the congregation get-togethers & hayrides & picnics & such ... the food was pretty darn good.

• kid-A
    kid-A

My impression from this thread is that those born in are WAY more likely to leave then those converted as adults. We are now well over 80%

"born into it" or "almost born into it" relative to the adult converts that left. Having said that, I think the results may be skewed for some of the reasons

GBL mentioned. However, my feeling is that, you have more to lose once you have consciously decided to give up a "normal" life for life in the borg and

perhaps more importantly, the underlying reasons for adult conversion seem to be a critical, disastrous life event leaving the convert vulnerable to

manipulation. Seems like most of the "kids" that left, had issues with the religion while still small and silently endured for years until they slip below the

radar safely. I wonder if the WTS actually keeps stats about this kind of information? It would certainly help them in formulating future propaganda

for the "mental regulating" of the dub kids.

• garybuss
    garybuss

But if you're talking about food at the congregation get-togethers & hayrides & picnics & such ... the food was pretty darn good. There were congregation get-togethers & hayrides & picnics???? Huh? What's this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit