who escapes more often, those born into it or adult converts?

by kid-A 74 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

What strikes me on this board is the number of adult converts that have left the borg, either fading out or getting DF'd.

From my experience (I was born into it, 2nd generation, left before getting baptized) most of the faders or escapees were also like

me, born into it, never really accepted it and just bowed out at the first opportunity. The most devoted dubs I ever knew were those

who converted as adults (usually precipitated by some horrible experience then "saved" by some drone knocking on their door, hence

their devotion (and I suppose degree of indoctrination was stronger). Maybe its impossible to demonstrate either way, but my guess

would be that statistically, those born into it are more likely to ultimately reject it....

• Legolas
    Legolas

Well as for me and my family (I was baptized in 97, my husband in 98, and our two kids in 99) Our son disassociated himself 3 years ago, and myself,husband and daughter disassociated ourselves last month!

• kid-A
    kid-A

Thats cool you could all escape in unity ! Awesome!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Kid:

I wasn't BORN into it, but came in when my MOTHER decided it for me at 4 years old. My first doubt was at 9 years old, and my FINAL doubt was at 20. I left because nothing made any sense. I think you'll find that both people that are BORN into it, and raised in it, and those that come later, are equally leaving it at the same rate. I think what you'll find most in common with all these people is their "scam-o-meter" readings are reading pretty high.

CG

• Purza
    Purza

Just to add to the stats -- I was born into it and I faded about 3 years ago.

Purza

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i was pretty much born into it (only had one birthday party), but didn't leave until 14 years after baptism. in the course of it, i tried to "make the truth my own", like 5 or six times. LOL

• kid-A
    kid-A

well so far the "born into its" or almost "born into its" are leading the scoreboard! LOL

I might be able to do a statistical analysis after this!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It seems to me that people born into it or married into it will have a more difficult time leaving because they will by default have family in the bOrg. It is the fear of loosing these family ties that keep most people in.

• chrissy
    chrissy

Statistcally, I could'nt say who "escapes" more often. But also having been raised as a witness myself, I have wondered what it would be like to have grown up as a free spirited person and then all of a sudden this sect approaches me and asks me to give up my entire way of life and a bunch of my traditions to join in with them and thier hopes and promises. I can't imagine it.

Those that do join as adults, yeah, they are giving up a lot, therefor making their devotion stronger.

However, I also never understood or personally knew anyone that grew up a jw but did not whole heartidly believe it all to be true. Unless their parents were "spiritually sick" themselves, or failed to raise them up in a way "pleasing to jah" or whatever. Maybe I just stayed away from those "bad-associate" kids?

My first doubt was at 9 years old, and my FINAL doubt was at 20.

Oh my gosh!! 9 years old and you were doubting it! I am totally impressed. When my parents skipped meetings, I was ashamed of them and caught a ride with someone else. It seemed to only make my devotion stronger.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Born into it. It would have been sooooo much easier to leave if I wasn't leaving ALL my family behind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit