Another 607 / 587 BCE question, How do JW's fix the 20 years ??

by run dont walk 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

OK, since all the evidence and people/scholars etc, all agree that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587/586 BCE and NOT 607 BCE. How do the JW's get the extra 20 years, I understand the 2520 years and going back from 1914. But alot of the proof goes by adding up the kings reigns, and it gets you to the 587/586 date, do JW's simply add on a few years for each king, or is their a MYSTERY king that ruled for 20 years that only they know about.

hhhhhhmmmmmmm

hope my question makes sense.

• Scully
    Scully

Basically, they deal with it by taking the attitude that "We know what everyone else's scholarly research says, but they're wrong and we're right!"

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

even though we dont have any historical proof that we are right, we just are right!!

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

There was a myst'ry king and Nevawuzza was his name-o

Neva-wa-za-za, Neva-wa-za-za, Neva-wa-za-za,

Nevawazza was his name-o

ig.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I believe they say that the historical records are incomplete, and there may be some gaps in the record - either missing years or kings. All they really have to do is trot out a bunch of big words and official sounding names (borossus, ptolemy, etc), make a few confusing date notations, and the average JWs eyes glaze over and they just take what they're told.

• sinis
    sinis

I just found an interesting article talking of 586/587 and it is straight from the horses mouth (so to speak) - the Bible. Look at Zechariah Chapter 7: 1-5. It speaks of the 4th year of Darius (Darius took power in 521 so the 4th year would be 517) and also speaks of the 70 years in the same verses. Soooo, 70 years plus 517 = 587!!!! This is from the source - plan on using this in the future.

• Sith
    Sith

"Believe what we tell you to believe. The spiritual food that we give you supercedes anything and everything else. Math and science and research mean nothing if they don't support us. Dismiss everything that doesn't support what we tell you, believe everything that does."
    Signed, the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses

• daystar
    daystar

Hah hah, Sith. I recall being told at a book study of one book or other, I forget, that carbon dating must be incorrect since it dated human ancestors back much further than 7,000 years.

"This just could not be! The technology must be just wrong! We don't know why it's wrong specifically, other than that it just must be since we believe differently!" No supporting facts for this other than blind faith in the WBTS teachings.

• heathen
    heathen

Russell was wrong about everything else having to do with these prophesies but somehow the date works . He was even wrong about the date several times . At this point I think they just have too much invested with the 1914 date and the rest of the prophesies pointing to the messiahs arrival in jerusalem . The 70 weeks of years thing . It all seems to hinge just as much on when the Israelites were given orders to start the temple reconstruction .

• VM44
    VM44

The main reason the JWs hold to the incorrect year 607 BCE is so that their Adventist calculations will give the year 1914, the year upon which their whole religion is based! --VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit