Help! I am having feelings of doubt.

by cab1000 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Now What?
    Now What?
    I feel that if he does exist, he will understand my confusion, after all...he made me...right??

Sounds VERY reasonable to me. And also very contrary to the jw mindset. Even if the jw's are crazy doesn't make God so.

Let us know how you make out on these e-mails. Good Luck!

• cab1000
    cab1000

Now what ?,

So other organizations were using "Jehovah" back then too??

I had not thought of that...do you have any examples?

~cab

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yes other religious organisations use the name but not as much as the jws. Here's another page to research about the name:

http://www.ynca.com/Mini%20Studies/ishisnam.htm and here's an older post on the subject: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/85764/1.ashx

Josie

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LOL - Bobs Witnesses!

Reminds me of a sketch with Rowan Atkinson in where he says de debils name is Bob - Beel ze Bob!

• Now What?
    Now What?

Yikes!

I have run across a lot of articles in papers (especially mid-state NY) from about that time where it seems religious discussions were in vouge. The writers, many of whom were protestant, would include the name 'Jehovah' in their articles. The catholics seemed to prefer Yahweh, but if you include that then, omg, the Holy See library would be a gold mine. If I can get some spare time tonight i'll try to get some specific examples.

As far as an being an organizational name, ie "Jehovah's Witnesses", they were still the Bible Students back then. So they can't say that they have a monopoly on "Jehovah"

• Now What?
    Now What?

hey there Mrs Jones, I just checked out your links. Nice links on the name thx! The one mentioned that 'Jesus' was not entirely right on either. Ironically I just learned last week about the IHS (IHEESUS) for Jesus. Thx again

• cab1000
    cab1000

Josie,

Yes other religious organisations use the name but not as much as the jws. Here's another page to research about the name:

http://www.ynca.com/Mini%20Studies/ishisnam.htm

Thanks! That was very interesting! I feel a little better already. I need to be reminded that there are other people out there that disagree with the watchtower. Remember, I was just visited by an elder this afternoon, and you know how that goes... It was funny though, my wife and I were out back, on the deck, kids playing in the pool, the elder just walks around and starts coming up the deck stairs, (I had told him he could visit before) and we had our ASH TRAY out and of course our pack of lights on the table...We had to scramble to hide that, we put plates over the ashtray and tried to conceal our pack of smokes, picking it all up together with some clothes/towels...then later, we realized that we had a few American flags out from the Fourth of July party we had...what a shame....hiding and all... ~cab

• kazar
    kazar

Regarding the Name Jehovah: Any Witness worth his salt will know and tell you that the Watchtower printed in one of the publications that Jahovah is not the correct name of God; it is the anglicized verion of the tetrarammaton, but since it has been used all of these years it is proper to continue as Jehovah.

They certainly are not the only ones using the name. When I was a child in school I knew Jehovah was God's name. We studied it in catechism class of a Catholic School.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I'm sorry you and your wife are feeling emotional pain from this confrontation. I liked your reasoning with him, I wish that I'd had the gall to think that way when I was in. Something that I hope I have learned and you may have just learned is when to "let sleeping dogs lie", or put it another way, the Taoist principle of Wu-Wei--"non action".

So, I guess, right now, I need help with "combating" the fact that they are true because they use the name Jehovah, and how important that is?

Totally bogus, as others have very adequitely shown.

Somebody else mentioned that they will just bring out one Red Herring after another; I think of this as a lesson in futility. When you are able to percieve that, you have taken another step in freeing yourself--not only from JW, but from dogmatic, cultish, group mentality.

You are so lucky to have both you and your wife in cahoots, I hope you continue to support one another in life's exploration.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    It was funny though, my wife and I were out back, on the deck, kids playing in the pool, the elder just walks around and starts coming up the deck stairs

That is so rude, even if you told him he could visit you, you would think he would have the common courtesy to knock or ring before coming on to your property. If you couldnt hear him, he should have called out before coming back. I'm funny like that. Some elders always struck me as being very arrogant.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit