Smurf away

by damselfly 40 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

As a wee damselfly in the late 70's/early 80's I loved the smurfs! I watched the show and had the coloring book and the little plastic figures. Then some JW kid had a nightmare, it was taken as demonism and my smurfs were taken away! Now as an adult I proudly embrace the smurf. I drink my afternoon tea out of my "Have a happy day!" Smurf mug, sometimes when asked to describe something I declare it to be "smurfy", I am on the lookout for socks with smurfs on them and if the smurfs are on T.V ? well hand over the remote cause I will be watching them!

Does anyone else have anything similiar that they were denied as a kid, but now enjoy ?

Damselfly, who will never grow up

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well yea, I TOTALLY dig Halloween, Christmas too but to a lesser degree. I just love getting into costume, the whole attitude, and handing out candy to the little hobgoblins. My absolute favorite time of the year.

Sherry

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When I was a kid was was not allowed to watch the Smurfs after it was discovered that they were horrible, evil and demonic in nature.

I have to admit that I now like to watch the Smurfs cartoon in the morning when I am getting ready for work. Oh, and if you want to buy Smurf products, take a look on eBay... there is more smurf stuff there than you could ever want!

• potleg
    potleg

I really enjoy my association with people who are not JW's. I was brought up to be suspicious of anyone outside the org...they were bad associates and terribly depresed and unhappy. What a crock.

• damselfly
    damselfly

hhmmmmm maybe I could be Smurfette for Halloween this year.

Side note I don't know why some of my posts go that grey hi-lite color ?

• aniron
    aniron

Aaaarrrggghhh !!! Just what was it with American JW's and Smurfs.

Over here in Britain none of us gave them a second thought, they were just another bunch annoying of cartoon characters. Especially when "Father Abraham" brought that stupid Smurf song out.

Plenty of kids, even my own, watched them on TV and had Smurf , pens, notebooks, dolls, cups, some which they took to Kingdom Hall or assemblies. Not one person ever said a thing about them.

• loosie
    loosie

lmbo

When I read the title of this thread "smurf away", I thought someone came up with a smurf repellant spray for JW's. You know like" bug be gone".

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I always wanted to celebrate valentines day. God how much did I want a valentines card.

I could never persuade my hubby to buy me one, but when I got divorced I was having lunch with a man on valentines day and I MADE him buy me flowers. I said im not going back to the office without a bunch of roses.

Its the only one I want to celebrate, and I send my daughter a card and teddy bear from a 'secret admirer' every year, shes 7, so she has no idea its me. Talk about living vicariously through your kids.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish
    Especially when "Father Abraham" brought that stupid Smurf song out

so now I have the chorus of that song playing on auto repeat in my head, aaarrrrrgggghhhh

la la lalalala la la la la

la la la (do do-do do do do-do do)

ig.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Smurf a happy song

Smurf it all day long

Share this