Help - shunning stories needed

by Mr Rocky 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

My letter to the editor to the Davenport Times just came out on June 30, 2005. The Spokane Spokesman Review is interested in doing a story about shunning as a result of reading my letter. The Religion reporter wants to start working on it Wednesday. Does anybody want to tell their story of odd things they have been shunned for by JW's. Maybe you have a personal strange story about how the elders acted to disfellowship someone? Has anybody been shunned or disfellowshipped for bringing a pedophile problem up lately at the kingdom hall. If anybody is willing to be part of this possible story please post here or e-mail me, rocky_fitzp@hotmailcom , title it "letter" or I might delete it. My letter follows (I tried to attach the JPEG image of the actual article, but am not computer savvy enough to have been successful):
    'Shunning' Impacts Family Relationships At the time of Davenport’s High School Graduation, 2005, I learned that I had been "marked" and was to be "shunned" when my brother, Jory, informed me that my wife and I were not welcome at my nephew Jade’s graduation reception. The reason he gave was because my sister-in-law, Andrea, believed if we came to the reception, then invited guests who were Jehovah’s Witnesses would not attend. This is because errant Jehovah’s Witnesses are to be shunned by others in the faith. This means no social contact with Jehovah’s Witnesses, including Jehovah’s Witnesses family members . Shunning is done to awaken the wrongdoer to repent and bring him/her back into the fold for such sins as adultery, fornication, drunkardness, thievery or worse. Three days later I was officially expelled (i.e., excommunicated, disfellowshipped), and officially shunned by the Davenport Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. As bad as shunning is in this world, being expelled from the church also infers NO AFTERLIFE, PERIOD.

However, there is a religious crime even more offensive in the eyes of Jehovah’s Witnesses than what I have heretofore mentioned—and that is to doubt that this religion, which is directed by its corporate head, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc., is the only way to salvation, and the only religion directed by God. Any questioning by a baptized member regarding the religion’s teachings, many of which have been modified and changed, leads to expulsion from the congregation. This questioning is termed "apostasy," and, apparently, I have been judged guilty of "apostasy" due to my voiced concern about my church’s policies regarding the handling of sexual child abuse accusations and the reporting of such accusations.

Victims by the thousands have come forward due to the efforts of sympathetic individuals who support the Silentlambs organization, which has spearheaded the disclosures about the sexual child assault problem within Jehovah’s Witnesses’ congregations. See www.silentlambs.org for complete and accurate information. At this web site you can view twenty TV documentaries from around the world and also hear the local Mark Fuhrman show discuss this matter. These programs have thoroughly analyzed the accusation made by victims and victim’s advocates that Jehovah’s Witnesses’ organization has become a "pedophile paradise."

It has deeply saddened me that my religion protects pedophiles because of their continuing inadequate and antiquated rules that were followed by many churches during the Dark Ages. One such rule requires reporting an accusation to the church elders first before the police, thus, allowing DNA to be lost. Other rules silence victims, and may allow pedophiles to sit unknown next to Jehovah’s Witnesses and their children in church and at social functions.

I believe that Jehovah’s Witnesses should stop interfering in what is police business. If the Witnesses want to forgive pedophiles, okay, but let these criminals serve time in prison too! That’s part of repentance. The elders should not cover up criminal behavior just to make the religion look good.

It is quite possible that no local area Jehovah’s Witness will ever read this letter because they have probably been told not to read the newspaper. This is because I warned the elders I would write to the paper if I could not address the congregation as a whole (Matt 18:15-17). The elders refused my request. The congregation will obey without question!

The only thing that will have any effect on Jehovah’s Witnesses in this matter is if you challenge them when they call at your door. If we can be of any assistance to further help you to understand this subject, give us a call. Joel and Linda Jahn 509-725-2122

• blondie
    blondie

Does the Spokane Times want experiences from people who live in the Spokane area? Usually that is the case when a paper is looking for an abuse case regarding JWs.

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

I would check with Bill Bowen too.

www.silentlambs.org

• skyman
    skyman

I might be able to give you some names but my identity would have to be g uaranteed. Plus I am from your area and know a few people that might be willing to tell their story. We have probable bumped into each other a time or two.

• Gordy
    Gordy

My JW wife and two JW daughters have not had any contact with me in any way, since I disassociated in September 2001.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

My husband and I were df'd in Feb 2003 for standing up for child abuse. My family are all JWs. My mom was recently widowed and I have been helping her with the transition/bills/band accounts. My sister has not talked with me since our brother's wedding May of 2003. The last time my sister was at our mom's house she questioned our mom on why she is still talking with me. Mom explains "family business" and I'm the closest child. My daughter threatens to take our mom to the elders and storms out of our mom's house saying, "I'll see you in the resurrection." She has not talked with our mom since.

Joy Imhof

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

ok, I forgot about when husband's father died Sept of 2003. Husband told the family that his family will not go to the memorial if they treat us the way they treated my husband at the hospital when his father died.

We all traveled up from Florida to Wisconsin for the memorial. We were cooly treated at the KH. Then the family went back to the senior center where his parents lived. The congregation prepared a meal for the whole family. (Several "wordly" family members there.) I was talking with some of the relatives I hadn't seen for years, catching them up on what was new with Steve & I when the elders had Steve's brother-in-law walk back to the apartment to get Steve to get me out of there. I was not inviited to eat a meal with those grieving. *shock*

My daughter left the dining room with me. Steve's family later implied that I brought it on myself to be treated that way because I was *gasp* df'd.

My husband reminded his brother-in-law, who was df'd several years ago, that we weren't df'd for wrongdoing.

Since then we have nothing to do with his family. We will not put ourselves in the position to be treated like that. SHUNNED.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I would be more than happy to relate my story.

The bottom line is that I am being shunned by my entire family and extended family because I chose not to be a member of the religion.

At one point the Elders of the Jehovahs Witness congregation threatened to disfellowship me and have me shunned for donating blood in a blood drive at work.

-Else

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    We all traveled up from Florida to Wisconsin for the memorial. We were cooly treated at the KH. Then the family went back to the senior center where his parents lived. The congregation prepared a meal for the whole family. (Several "wordly" family members there.) I was talking with some of the relatives I hadn't seen for years, catching them up on what was new with Steve & I when the elders had Steve's brother-in-law walk back to the apartment to get Steve to get me out of there. I was not inviited to eat a meal with those grieving. *shock*

Hi Joy.... I have a question. What if when Steve came to get you, you said "No, I'm staying. And I'm going to eat with my family."

Would everyone else have left?, or maybe just the JW's? or Would they force you to leave? Maybe...they would not eat and just leave you and the worldly family members eating alone.

Just curious. There was a time that I would have left. Yep, I would have tucked tail and ran. Now I would tell them all to kiss my ass and do what ever I wanted to do.

Lisa

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

Thanks everyone for responding.

Yes Blondie, whe probably would like local situations.

Skyman, I doubt that you need to reveal your identity to me at all. If you're local then you might also know a fellow named John J. I have only unconfirmed second hand info about this fellow. Our congregation was effected by him though. I am wondering if you know of any coverup and forced shunning because of Watchtower pedophile policy in the Spokane area? Any attempted coverup where that victim is now silenced? Will these people talk?

Likewise any other place or reason in the US with this trouble.

Thanks Joy, I will attempt to pass your's on to the reporter.

Elsewhere, sounds interesting, how did they find out?

Gordy, why did you leave and your story would be good because I have told the reporter that the place is like hotel California (you can check out, but you can never leave)

Keep talking everybody!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit