JW view on therapy?

by damselfly 27 Replies latest jw friends

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    The official WTS view currently says it is your choice but to choose your therapist carefully, making sure it isn't one who will say your religion is your problem.

Unofficially, JWs are suspicious of anyone in the health care industry; too many elders think they are equipped to handle mental illness without any formal training; there is still a lot of prejudice against mental illness in the world at large and non-JWs are reluctant to seek help as well.

Couldnt have said it better myself... Though I might also add that it does also depend on where you are. In my area it isnt really frowned upon but just dont talk about it to anyone or encourage anyone to do the same.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    This is unethical, and the therapist should be reported for misconduct to the professional association in your province.

I don't know Canadian laws, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

It's normal and routine for family members--especially spouses--to meet with the therapist of the patient. It gives the therapist a lot of insight into the dynamics of relationships the patient has. Many times, one family member is the "identified patient" while the real problem is the family's relationships with each other, not only the patient's dysfunction.

If that therapist has any sense, she probably let the elder drone on with his demands and she/he just yes'd him to death so she could see how far he would go with his nutty behavior. The spouses/relatives can say whatever wacky nonsense they want to say during the session. That doesn't mean the therapist is going to abide by what the spouse demands. I'm betting this therapist just yes'd the guy to death and went on about her business of treating her patient as normal.

I can just imagine the therapist's first session with the elder's wife:

Therapist: I met with your husband.

Patient: mmm hmmm

Therapist: So would you agree that the main problem you'd like to deal with in therapy is your controlling husband?

Patient: mmm hmmm

LOL!

• talesin
    talesin
    the therapist had been instructed to NOT talk about the religion in any way, shape or form and to focus only on the "problem".)

An elder telling a therapist how to treat her/his patients?

In Canada, that issue would be decided after it's reported, by a board or tribunal that is appointed of the Professional Association.

I said NOTHING about LAWS, or COURTS , or LITIGATION. That is more of an American concept.

talesin

Edit,,, no, don't explain .. take it or leave it, that is my considered and experienced CANADIAN opinion.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Diane Wilson in her book: "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness had some interesting things to say on this subject. One of the things she said was that a brother who was a therapist had the witness sign a waiver of confidentiality which freed him to rat on them to the elders. It also provided him with a way out of seeing them if they were disfellowshipped. Very unethical. How could you be helped by some idiot like this? I think this so calle theraphy would just make you more paranoid.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I doubt they are for it. I was never encouraged to get help for my PTSD when I definately should have. Any problem I had, I was told by my friends: "those demons can really mess with people".

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

JWs.. What a mindset. It reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Chris is talking to Meg saying something like "Hey Meg, guess what number I'm thinking of? It's not four." "Is it four?" "Ahhh!! Get out of my head, GET-OUT-OF-MY-HEAD!!!"

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

*** Awake! 1960 March 8 p.27 ***

As a rule, for a Christian to go to a worldly psychiatrist is an admission of defeat, it amounts to 'going down to Egypt for help.' —Isaiah 31:1

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

What this thread has only touched on is JW therapists. I actually went to one, and she was atleast big on reporting child abuse even on the part of the elders (even though I didn't go to her for that, but obviously she was rather upset about having to deal with that and felt like telling me) and DID report to the authorities when that came up. Of course, being a JW you're still kind of ... er, not really all together. Frankly therapists vary greatly in quality too, some have a lot of their own issues.

Another thing to consider is the therapists view of JWs, the JW view on therapy is just one side of it..

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Please explain, rebel8, what you DON'T find unethical about this?

An elder telling a therapist how to treat her/his patients?

The elder's behavior is definitely unethical.

A therapist hearing the rants of a control freak elder is not unethical. I don't see anything in this thread that indicates the therapist complied with the elder's requests. Therapists are not responsible for the things family members tell them to do; they are only responsible for their response to it.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

In our congregation that was a NO-NO. My mom suffers from severe clinical depression. She has refused for over 25 years to go to a therapist. She treats herself with St. John's Wort. Says the KH is all the treatment she needs. She will only leave her house to go to work and meetings.

Now me, I'm told I'm bipolar and have post traumatic stress syndrome. But I tend to think that we are all bipolar to a point, after all we have been through. Mom won't go to the dr, but sure wants me to!!

SHELLEY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit