JW view on therapy?

by damselfly 27 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

Oh my! I didn't think so many people would reply. I had never given any thought that the therapist may have been unethical. I can't comment on what may have happened in the elder's wife's sessions, but for myself I didn't stick with it to find out. She may have wanted to discuss the JW's and was waiting for the right moment? She seemed to be a very nice and understanding person, but I wasn't ready to talk at the time.

Thanks for the replies.......Big wave to Talesin!!!!! East coast born and raised!

• JAVA
    JAVA

Welcome to the JWF, damselfly. Most cult-like religions set themselves up as all knowing, with all the answers. They tell members that going to an outsider for help is a sign of spiritual weakness. They don't like professional therapy because it can shine a light on the control issues of the sect.

Case in point that's in the news today: Tom Cruise is a follower of Scientology. His behavior and statements show how foolish followers of cults can be. A few days ago Cruise said, "You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do." Yeah right--I'm sure he gets his information from the control freaks in Scientology, which makes him an expert. The JWs do the same thing from reading the Awake!

• codeblue
    codeblue

Welcome

I am glad you posted this question, as I found out my JW son is in NEED of a therapist. I encouraged him to see one....

I didn't know what the latest feelings were about that either...just that you need to make sure they are Bible Lovers....

Codeblue

• Es
    Es

Yeah same here i remember it being a big no no. My mum so regrets that she never got help for my brother he needed it.But my dad being the elder and all couldnt have one of his children seeing a therapist. Ive just completed a 6 session with a phsycologist and it was the best thing. I told my dad it would be good for him but no the best medicine for my dad is the bible. es

• nowisee
    nowisee

well, being full of rage and sorrow, many many years after i left wts, i went into therapy. the therapist was recommended by a new "worldly" friend who was a customer of my new age bookstore.

lo and behold, when i started to spill, the therapist told me she was very familiar with jws. her best friend as a child had been jw and she grew up around them. she also told me she had had SEVERAL elders come to her for therapy in confidence for problems with substance abuse (her specialty) particularly alcoholism.

this certainly rang true for me and my subsequent therapy with her was quite helpful to me.

whatever the official stance is, there are at least some who go when they need to.

• potleg
    potleg

Years ago there was a sister in our hall who always seemed a little 'odd" but suddenly things got worse , she really was going off the deep end. The big wig elder, the city overseer no less was called in...he diagnosed demons...you know the rest ...burn clothes, pictures, furniture. Nothing worked until she ws admitted to hospital and underwent extensive therapy.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    She treats herself with St. John's Wort.

A bit of caution FWIW. Bipolar is often familial. If your mom is truly Bipolar but thinks she just has unipolar depression, taking St. John's Wort is a baaaaad idea. I treated lots of people who did that and it eventually threw them into full-blown mania, necessitating hospitalization. They didn't realize they were Bipolar. The psychiatrists used to tell them time and again they could have been successfully managed by medication without ever having to be hospitalized. Back on topic--I was just remembering one inpatient whose therapist told her it's her religion that's the problem in her life. This was after listening to the patient talk and talk negatively about jws. The elders galloped in with their bibles and said they were influenced by Satan and even accused the therapist of having "designs" on getting into the panties of the patient! Totally off the wall. JWs seem to often act as though psychiatry is alchemy or something!

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hey Trevor.

I got a laugh out of your statement " unacceptable contradictions ". Or Cognitive dissonance.

I can't think of a place where one may run into more "unacceptable contradictions" than being a jw.

Maybe scientology is right up there also vying for top place.

About getting into their panties?? It does happen but it is a rare thing. We had a psychologist here in this area that was accused and promptly left town.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit