Did it ever bother you that Watchtower never did charitible works?

by AK - Jeff 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• potleg
    potleg

Yes, even as a kid I felt the org. was mean, I never thought much of the witness type charity work. Why not open a food pantry, work with the homeless etc? Because they don't want to get too involved with worldly people. I think it would do more good to give out a magazine with a free meal or stuff a tract into a bag of free groceries rather than letting them pile up in a laundymat. Everything has to be on witness terms...become a witness then maybe you'll get some help. Even then it's a big maybe. But then look at the scrooge types running the show. As I've said before they lack genuine chistian compassion.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Also, growing up we were VERY poor and at times did not have much to eat. We also had times that my mom had to beg to not get the electric turned off. We never got help. One day my mom was trying to help a single lady with kids. She had no money for food. My mom gave her some food, but we did not have much. When she called the elders for help for this women she was studying with she was told that they had no resources to help her. My mom drove the lady to a Baptist church outreach that gave her enough food for a week and told her to come back if she needed more help. The lady never became a JW. Big suprise! I bet she became a Baptist.

Everytime I hear about things like that I can't help but think about this scripture:

(James 2:15-17) . . .If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, yet a certain one of YOU says to them: "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed," but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it? Thus, too, faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself.
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I remember this guy calling the hall and asking for assistance. The elders just kept telling him that we did not do that kind of thing - one even suggested that he call other churches!

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

Oh boy, did it ever. Finally, the last few years while I was still working, I had United Way donations taken out of my paycheck. I felt much better about things.

And it's a great feeling to buy a poppy or forget-me-not from the vets, too. I hated passing them and trying not to make eye contact when they were selling.

• potleg
    potleg

When I hear of elders or the Society witholding help from the needy it reminds me of the parable of the good Samaritan. Who really is Christ-like?

• greendawn
    greendawn

This was very strange to me, that the jws who were hoping to gain eternal life were not willing to be generous to justify such a lofty expectation, and that made them appear as fakes, at a time when they were accusing everyone else as being babylonian fakes. They wouldn't help even those that were very loyal to the org despite their fabulous wealth.

Something obviously didn't add up.

• upside/down
    upside/down

yes.

u/d (of the it always bugged me class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit