Did it ever bother you that Watchtower never did charitible works?

by AK - Jeff 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• zagor
    zagor

Constantly, could never understand it really

• cypher50
    cypher50

It always bothered me...my mom used to try and use that rationalized thinking of "the good news is more valuable then a few dollars to a charity" but I always felt that the "good news" didn't help when you can't feed your children today. The fact that the WTBTS discourages charity work except when it approves it is another reason that the whole UN thing seems especially hypocritical (since the UN definitely believes in charitable works of all kinds).

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    Yes it did so I used to donate in secret to certain organizations

So did/do I PBA, Red Cross, etc. I find it completely wrong that we can take blood fractions but we still can not donate blood to contribute to those fractions.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I always thought that by giving the WTS I was helping people (also not dubs).

I never questioned the doctrine that it was not usefull to give donations. I think it was okay though to give donations to organisations that were none political. I did this openly, nobody questioned me.

But things like UNICEF were a big NO, because that was part of the wicket United Nations

Danny

• Balsam
    Balsam

This practice of never donating to good humanitarian causes always bothered me. I would do it anyway. I knew JW were wrong in discouraging it and only giving to them. They never did anything for anyone except their own, and even that was sparse.

• skyman
    skyman

It always made me hide my little but in shame.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Like Misspeaches I believed that the witnesses were always first on the scene, I didn't realise until reading this thread that I'd been lied to yet again.

Still, its no suprise!

• FairMind
    FairMind

No that never bothered me not does it bother me now. What does bother me is the discouragement from the WTS for us as individuals to do charitable work. This is supposedly because our time and money can be better used to further the preaching work.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Whenever I asked about this as a child growing up I was "reasoned with from the scriptures". Basically how everlasting life was far more valuable than any short term "gift" of charity. Besides Satan will see to it that there is always wickedness and food shortages and whatnot, so really it was a waste of time and effort. Trust on Jah to take care of it. And virtually all charities "waste" money funding administration....and all charities have a "hidden" agenda. I would be told about UNICEF and how it was tied to the UN, therefore wicked. Or the Red Cross....who runs blood donation centers. Etc...etc... etc.

I think this is one of the reasons JW's are so callous to "worldly" people. They figure it's like throwing money into a sieve. You can't solve the problem so why bother.

Of course the society doesn't want to compete with other charities for people's money is what it comes down to.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Yes it did,but I used to try and convince myself that the jw's were preaching the good news,therefore doing a very good work.

It really bothered me though when my dad started studying and shortly thereafter he stopped donating to a relief organization that was helping a young person in a foreign land.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit