Did it ever bother you that Watchtower never did charitible works?

by AK - Jeff 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I mean, for forty years believing the witness lie it always made me wonder.

Judas was the keeper of the money box - and there are statements that indicated that the Apostles thought that wasting money that could be used to aid the poor was sinful - so indications are that the earliest Christians were doing charitible works. Of course there are many scriptural passages that encourage that activity among believers.

Today all the organization ever does is pay lip service to charity. In the case of major disasters they pitch in a little, and make sure they get all the press they can for doing so - but mostly to help the witnesses first and others that happen to be in the area. Other religions and social groups do a wonderful job of really helping others in time of need.

Did this bother you as a witness? Or were you so mind-bent that it went right past you?

Jeff

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

That's a good question Jeff.

To be honest I believed that the org helped those affected by natural disasters. We used to get reports relayed to us that where a tornado had struck or an earthquake the JW's would always be first on the scene rebuilding homes for people donating food clothing etc. The slant was always given that this help was available to everyone. I used to be so proud to be part of an organisation that was their first.

Of course since then I have opened my eyes and realised this is all baloney. Yet another time the WTBTS has left me with a bitter taste....

• blondie
    blondie

I think what bothered me most was to see JWs accept help from the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and other groups during disasters and then not contribute to them. Then there were the JWs who went to food pantries when they were laid off but when they were employed and making $30 an hour, they would say it was wrong to donate.

I remember one dense brother told me he paid his taxes so he was entitled to accept help from them. I told him that tax money didn't support those groups but private donations. What a dolt!

Blondie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes it did so I used to donate in secret to certain organizations

• Honesty
    Honesty

Very much.

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

Yes it did. I used to watch television and see all the aid/charity workers helping in the wars and troubles but you never saw any witnesses. I onced asked why if worldy were so bad that they helped each other. I never did learn to keep my mouth shut.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

It always bothered me because they didn't seem to help out the ones in the congragation, either. Even now, my mom goes to the Columbia, MO congregation. (hope you lurkers take note of the city!)Single, alone, and older. She lives in a run down trailer that has holes in it. Can't but groceries sometimes. My sisters and I try and help. But she'll hardly ever let us know. What happened to that scripture that they were to take care of their own? She refuses to ask for any help from the local congregation. Wish I could put a foot up someone's ass right about now, and get their attention.

shelley

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I still hear it maintained that the JW do many charitable works, but because of Scripture (Matt 6v3,4) they are not alllowed to advertise the fact - unlike those boasting of their good acts.

On another thread a poster suggested that the Society ought supply 'soup kitchens' for the poor and needy. I think this would be brilliant. On a day when the KH is NOT used, it should be opened for distribution of food for these people. ''God's House'' should be a Sanctuary, not a lock-up shed.

• evergreen
    evergreen

It was something that gradually began to irk me as the years went on especially when my mother would go on about how we should only be giving donations to the society as that was Gods organisation.

Yeah sure , then i would reply back ,that i didnt think a poor young child in a famine stricken part of the earth cared to much about how she got her bowl of soup . All that child wants is some food to keep her a live. Who is providing that bowl of soup for her , the society??

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Yeah. Bigtime.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit