Did you ever feel like you never fit in?

by Dragonlady76 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

When I was growing up in dubland, I always felt like I never "fit" in with the other kids in the cong or their families. I always knew deep down that I didn't like being a JW and their had to be more to life than meetings and field service. I just wanted to be normal, like the other kids and have sleepovers, birthday parties, after school activities and christmas etc....

My folks were and still are devout dubs and my dad in particular is the nicest man you will ever meet, he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it, no questions asked. He is an MS and has been many years now, does his field service and contributes however he can with a happy heart. But my family was not part of the cong "in crowd", I was never asked to be in a wedding and was rarely invited to be with the other families. So I always had that nagging feeling that nobody liked me or that I was not "good enough" to be with the others in the cong.

Did anybody else feel like that growing up?

DL76

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Didn't grow up in 'the truth' per se. Was around it as a boy - then baptised as a teenager.

But yes, I never fit in with the cliques - was never part of the 'beautiful people' or the 'in crowd'. In an organization that already promotes personal insecurity, it doesn't do much for what little self esteem some may have. I was just defiant enough to hang on anyway - rats! Then I had to find my way out 30 years later.

Jeff

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

This is exactly how I felt. Even when having a position in the cong. I just felt that I was different. I just wasn't as happy as all the others (or did not seem so).

Escpecially on conventions, I really felt bad, even for some days afterward. Just did not belong there. The happyness felt maybe just to atrificial. No sure.

Still feel the same now, but now surpriced that I do.

Danny

• kls
    kls
    So I always had that nagging feeling that nobody liked me or that I was not "good enough" to be with the others in the cong.

Jws never really like anyone except themselves and they can hardly stand themselves. I never fit in either cause i was to wild ,whatever that meant . I suppose swinging from the womens bathroom door to the mens was not appropiate at the time and them smelling my fingers after i scratched my butt,oh well.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

With the rank and file definately not...didnt fit in at all but i did make some true friends....it isnt without surprise that these friends are now disfellowshipped or disassociated.

If your genuine you dont fit in...and you eventually leave.

• hubert
    hubert

OH MY GOD, KLS, YOU REALLY ARE A MONKEY !!

Are you related to King Kong?

Hubert

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I got along with them fine but deep down I thought a lot of them were just drones. The personalities were so bland, most of them just bored me to the point of nausea. I started to resent them and to dread having to see them at the meetings.

GBL

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi DL76, I wasn't raised as a dub either, though when I was in, I felt as if one of the outcast. I learned about the truth early in my teenage years, never took to it, but it still affected my thinking, despite not being a part of the organization. From the moment I came in contact with the Jehovah's Witnesses, the doctrines and belief structures taught infected nearly every aspect of my life.

I was a misfit even before learning anything of the truth, but the situation got even worse once I never took to the truth with the indoctrination wittled into my brain. I operated in the world like a fish out of water, socially, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. After wrestling from the world for so many years, once I got inside the ark, I was a lost cause, I had already warped most of my adult years with negative thinking, drug and alcohol abuse, along with having succumb as a teen to an early nervous breakdown.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I didnt fit in because I was trying so hard to be a genuine good dub, and the other kids were just taking the piss I think. I was like the nerdy kid that joins the chess club. I would probably frown at you if you went to the toilet in the middle of the meeting, but I would never grass you up because I was above malice and petiness (and I knew some other little gobshite would do the nasty work anyway). Also my parents were trying to be good dubs, and never got involved in any politics or gossiping. This kind of limited our social standing quite a lot. I think lots of people thought my dad was jesus, cos he looked like him (only elder to dare wear a beard) and he was so holy and witty.

Getting on this site and meeting people I like makes me feel like all the cool kids have suddenly decided chess club is THE coolest place to be, and suddenly I am accepted and maybe even liked. Its like a nerd kids wildest dream.

• hubert
    hubert
    I felt as if one of the outcast.

Well, you are welcome here, Prophecor !

Sorry to hear you had such a hard tiime. You go looking for something to hang onto, and the j.w.'s throw you a fish. No good ba$tards.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit