Bi-Sexual

by misguided 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• upside/down
    upside/down
    All grown

Today... this doesn't mean a productive person who carries some or all of his own weight... quite opposite actually.

"All grown up" today (in America) means.... can drink alcohol, do drugs, drive, go shopping (with unearned money), have sex without limit, and can blame it all on someone else when the consequences come rolling in.

You're right.... partly... that on the whole this "utopia" never existed for everyone at any specific time... but despite my parents problems, I was (and so were my friends growing up) just as described. If I didn't have to go home at night... life would have been grand.

I can honestly say my kids have had an almost "utopian" childhood... despite everything... THIS IS MY GREATEST LIFE ACCOMPLISHMENT SO FAR. There is no such thing as a perfect childhood... but there can be some pretty darn good ones. Everyone has a different vision of what that is... I have achieved mine, and intend to let others pursue and achieve theirs.

We have many friends (Dub and non Dub) that are FAILING miserably at raising their children... somehow we've seemed to succeed. Yes there are problems... but that's life. We have lot's of love and aren't afraid to do what has to be done for our kids. Many of our friends would rather watch Dr.Phil and bitch and analyze till the wee hours rather than get off their fat ass and go DO something with their kids.

Unfortunately many on this board are SO SCARRED from Dub abuse, they are truly at a disadvantage when it comes to raising or even dealing with their kids issues... all I can say is MAKE THE EFFORT... and be there for them NO MATTER WHAT!

That is the best any parent can do IMO.

u/d (of the has eaten lots of crow class)

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Gotta put my 2 cents in. Due to movies, tv and internet--kids these days are learning a whole lot more about sex at a younger age than us older folks. Please have a very open and frank talk with your son about sex. He needs to know the seriousness of possibly catching a disease or getting a girl pregnant. And I have read instances where a girl became pregnant without 'going all the way' but just heavy fooling around.

My son is almost 16 and very popular with the ladies at school. I'm not sure if he is a virgin or not--but my aim is not to judge his morality--my aim is to make sure that if and when he does have sex, hopefully he will follow my advice about using double protection, and that he keeps in mind that having sex with girls under 18 could land him a jail sentence if the girl's parents chose to pursue that course. Kids are going to do what they want to do when they are away from us, so I'm am a strong advocate for sexual education for young people.

As far as the 'Bi' issue, just make sure he knows that you will love him and accept him no matter what--kids need unconditional love and support from their caregivers.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

This is all getting very heavy.

Now I would just give him a clip round the ear 'ole and tell him "i'll tell you when you are bi-sexual you cheeky little runt".

Job done, he'll be fine!

(Katie secretly agrees with other posters -- you sound like a fab mum, hope my kid can talk to me when she grows up)

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Does he know what the word bi-sexual really means?

I was taught that someone is bi-sexual when a person's right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

Rub a Dub

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Does he know what the word bi-sexual really means?

Actually, that's a really good question.

It means being naughty with two other people, at the same time, doesn't it?

• misguided
    misguided

I'd like to thank each and every one of you who posted on this thread for your supportive, insightful answers. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to the board (long day at work, and then a school function I had to attend.)

After darkuncle29 cleared my head enough to realize this isn't about me, it's about my son. From many of your comments it became clear that I SHOULD ask him if he's had sex. So, I did. The conversation sort of ensued in this way. He came in to give me my "good-night" kiss, so I took the opportunity and asked him. He said "no." So then I asked him if he'd tell me if he had. He kind of looked at me reluctantly and said, "well you'd kill me if I had." I said he'd just told me he was bisexual, and I think that kind of "took the cake." (I said it in a kind tone, and with a smile on my face.) So I asked him again, and he said "no." He then went on to say, "Don't you think it would have been worse if I told you I was on Crystal Meth?" I agreed, that would definatly be worse.

So then I asked him how he knew he was bisexual if he'd never had sex. He said, "it's hard to explain, mom." My gut tells me he's setting me up, and that he will ultimately sway to the homosexual side. He asked if I was disappointed. I said that I wasn't. It's just that I know that it's not an easy life with some people's views toward homosexuality, including that of our mostly JW family.

This morning when we got up, I kept it like any other morning. He asked about that. I said that nothing's really changed. He's the same person he was yesterday when we got up, and that I love him as much today as I loved him yesterday. What he told me doesn't change how I feel about him. He seemed content with that.

they have probably been calling him 'gay' at school for years

Even his sisters, who are now quite supportive of him, have been calling him "girlie-man" for years.

Google on keywords "puberty" "bisexuality"

Thank you Richard, Great idea, and I'm going to do that. (From the "duh - why didn't I think of that" class).

Get some male influence in his life

That may be a great idea. His dad left when he was 18 months old and hasn't been around much since. When his father does come around, it's hard for him to look up to him. He usually lives in Calgary, and is a drug abuser. During his last visit here to see his kids, he spent 2 weeks on the psych ward. Then there was his idiot step-father (still involved with the JW's) who was physically abusive to him. He got a 3 month sentence and 1 year probation for threatening us. I have another son from that marriage. He's 8, but is mentally challenged in the "mild" range. My older son is so good to him. However, I don't think he's ever going to have a "brother" relationship with him in the "normal" sense of the term. He's really had no good male input in his life. But like Evil Force says, it probably won't change his sexuality - whichever way he may go.

he MAY have had the experience with an OLDER man( pedifile( spelt wrong) He may be TRYING to disguss it with you.

Mouthy, I have discussed this with him. I'm very diligent when it comes to this sort of thing. I was abused by "brothers" (including an elder) so I am very cautious and always ask questions.

and lastly,

... all I can say is MAKE THE EFFORT... and be there for them NO MATTER WHAT!

U/D, what great advice. I'm going to use it.

Thank you ALL for your input. I feel at peace - no matter what, I will be there for him.

Rose

• Glofishy
    Glofishy

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Rose))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Oh my God, what an incredible woman you are! Although I'm totally straight (to a fault at times) , I have had many gay and lesbian friends that have had horrible things happen to them when they finally came out to their families. I'm talking horrible like kicking their 15 year old son literally out on the streets with no possibility of returning home.

Here's a link to a great organization that might provide you with information and support that you need now. It's http://www.pflag.org It's short for Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. Your son may just be going through a very short period in his life where he thinks he has homosexual tendancies, but in fact it's just a period of curiosity. Let's face it, at his age, he's probably going to gym and is exposed to other males his age in the locker room with the shower stuff. Not to say anything is going on, but males are turned on by sight, where us women are generally turned on with chemistry and conversation.

A lesbian friend of mine does paralegal work for a gay and lesbian charity. They run a shelter for homeless children/young adults that were thrown out by their parents or abused to the point they had to leave. I bet every single kid in that shelter would love to have you for a parent.

Lots of love and support to you!

• Panda
    Panda

Misguided, You are doing a wonderful job with your son. I've recently had a similar discussion with a friend. While heterosexual or homosexual may have genetic impetus; Bi-sexuality is more of a choice. I think we are all capable of enjoying bisexuality. Isn't it just amazing that with this f***ked up world that a persons sexuality would matter (or be anyones business) at all. I'm talking about the kids at school. I have also seen the play wrestling etc with both boys and girls; I think its all part of finding yourself in society. "Hey ... leave them kids alone."

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think at that age he doesn't know what his sexual identity really is and it more likely to be a passing phase.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hi Rose!

You can be grateful that your son is confiding in you! When I was his age, I would never have done this! Anyway, I don’t know what to add here from what others have posted, but please don’t distance your son from the close communications you currently wonderful have! However, you’ll want to safeguard him from pedophiles, rampant in JW-system! Regardless of you sons feelings, you sound like a wonderful parent; therefore, do keep the lines of communication open, and talk frequently. Share your inner thoughts about the matter at hand.

Take care!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit