Catholicism

by Chia 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chia
    Chia

I went to a Catholic church this weekend with my boyfriend. He was raised Catholic and was thinking about going back to church, but after the service decided that his belief system was now too different for him to attend services anymore.

As for myself, it stirred an unexpected reaction in me. While I got nothing out of the sermon(or whatever it's called there), everyone singing songs and stuff made me miss the meetings for a minute. Not what was actually taught, but the routine, and being able to say that I actually belonged to a religion. There were also times when I felt like I was at a district convention, because it was a large church.

All in all, it was weird and chances are, I won't go back. I've thought about checking out the Unitarian church in my area to see what's what.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Frying pan into the fire... Hosanna in the highest.

Born and raised RC... turned Dub... how messed up can one honest hearted person be? (I'm speaking of myself of course)

u/d (of the who's Hosanna? class)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

wild...

i went to a church this weekend too. it was for a cello recital. it was a "United Church", not sure what that is, but the acoustics brought tears to my eyes.

• Chia
    Chia

Yeah what is Hosanna?

And my boyfriend did not fill me in on the "Peace be with you" part. All of a sudden, people start turning to me and holding out their hands saying, "Peace be with you." I was like, "What the f*ck?" The expression on my face must've said it all. My boyfriend was like, "Oops, should've told you about that." Umm...yeah.

• upside/down
    upside/down

I was a naughty altar boy... we drank the wine....before it was "blessed" of course.

And we used to have farting contest and let the odor ease out of our robes and try to mess up the priest (he was cool that way).

Man we had some good times as kids (no molesting went on in our Church... that we knew of, thank "God")

u/d

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    "Peace be with you"

crap!! i say that!

jeepers, and here i thought it was PC...oh well...no more peace wishes for anyone...

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Not what was actually taught, but the routine, and being able to say that I actually belonged to a religion.

I was originally rc before my mom converted. I went through a rc phase after becoming an xjw. I was well aware I was doing it for the social aspect. I go occassionally and just sit there and meditate, which I enjoy. It's a nice break; I make myself just think positive thoughts and relax. I don't believe in god so I guess there's a limit on the benefits I can get out of participating in christianity.

Post back on your experience with the Unitarians. I've been curious about them. I consider myself a Humanist but there are no local organizations here. Was wondering if I'd like the Unitarians. (Those are the athiests, right?)

• Chia
    Chia

They seem very open minded and respectful of different backgrounds and beliefs. The minister at my local UU is a lesbian. I know this because when I did volunteer work, I worked at the UU(gasp! But we only used the building, so it was OK with the Dubs). So that intrigued me. I may go this Sunday.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Hey Chia, I'm very down with the UU's (or the double U's, or.. dubs (?) NOOOO). I really like that church a lot, no pressure at all and no real doctrines either. Kind of pointless in a way.. but its a nice little group of freethinkers to have coffee with and chat.

GBL

• Chia
    Chia

Thanks for the info, GBL. The last thing I need is pressure, and maybe I can make a few friends. That's really one of my main objectives, because I'm just starting my life outside the BOrg, so I need all the friends I can get.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit