Is it morally OK to try to free people from the WTS and how?

by DannyBloem 43 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I have some serious questions here.

I am still a JW but fading away slowly. Still have some privileges etc, but that will not be too long I suppose.

My question is: Is it right to try to get other JW’s out of the organization.

Keep in my that morality is entierely subjective, but here's my thoughts. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get others to see things from your point of view. The breach of morality comes if you actively and aggresively try to mold or control their thinking, no? Remember, you're dealing with functioning adults who have thier own minds, and they may not agree with you.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    If it is wrong to try and free Witnesses, than it is wrong to help a drug addict go to rehab and its wrong to help someone escape a burning building.

This is a logical fallacy known as false analogy. The three things you mentioned are intrinsically different. While some witnesses may share characteristics with drug addicts, the differences outweigh the similarities. You're using emotive language here and not speaking rationally. Incidentally, what were you accusing the Witnesses of?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get others to see things from your point of view.

Well, it's not exactly my point of view, now is it? If and when I'd get the opportunity to present facts to them-----that's what they would be, facts. Facts require proof, and the proof that the WTS is deliberately teaching and promoting lies!

Their own paper trail and "new light" are based on their own lies, not to mention their prophecies and predictions that they claim they never made. Look at all the "imperfections" that they TAUGHT as TRUTH! They've had to refine and revise these "mistakes" to make themselves to be believable!

They are quick to tell you that you should not stick to a religion that teaches lies----but they are in the same boat themselves. And THAT can be proven.

The breach of morality comes if you actively and aggresively try to mold or control their thinking, no

Isn't that just what the WTS does? Aren't the minds of JWs constantly under a particular regime of agressive "mind control" with all the meetings, literature to read and underline and so forth?

That's about as aggressive as it gets! And okay---if you want to label it as that "breach of morality", the shoe would fit like Cinderella's.

Annie

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Loaded question here...and one I have contemplated to death, as I do know people in there who are so disfunctional they may not survive in the outside world--this worries me and makes me feel responsible for breaking their bubble. But then again if nobody ever speaks out about anything that is corrupt and wrong then where would we all be?

What people believe is of no consequence to me. If you want to worship a pile of rocks and pray to those rocks--fine--you aren't hurting anyone doing so. but if you start making it a practice of throwing those rocks at people that is a different story.

If the WT was just a harmless belief system then I could let it go. But it is not. People sacrifice their precious time and their children's lives to it. People die because of it (blood doctrine) and families are destroyed because of it (Df-ing doctrine.) I have seen so many people suffer because of this religious organization. It is mostly the children that concern me. They have no choice in the matter. Some have lost their lives because of this religion--some will lose their families. That is the worst thing about it to me.

cybs

• John Doe
    John Doe
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get others to see things from your point of view.

I'm not convinced of lying. If the organization were as decietful and worried about control as claimed by many, why would they give such a near date if they know it to be false? Afterall, this has caused mass AWOL in the organization. Doesn't this run contrary to their goal? This demonstrates to me that they believe what they are preaching. But, my point was that what we think are facts are not always facts. Our interpretation of what facts are is just that--our interpretation. To think we are more enlightened than a group of people is a bit arrogant and condescending. I'm not saying you're not right, I'm saying that your perspective is a little judgemental. Again, there's nothing wrong with sharing information and discussing views. Everything is wrong with trying to convert others to your way of thinking--saying you have the "truth" and are going to save your beneficiaries from their depraved lifestyle.

Isn't that just what the WTS does? Aren't the minds of JWs constantly under a particular regime of agressive "mind control" with all the meetings, literature to read and underline and so forth?

That's about as aggressive as it gets! And okay---if you want to label it as that "breach of morality", the shoe would fit like Cinderella's.

Annie

Bingo!! You did catch my implication. Now here's my question. If you beleive the organization to be as bad as you portray in this post, why do you want to fade? Do you not find it extremely hypocritical? If you remain in association, you are tacitly supporting what you claim to hate. This is how it appears to me, at any rate. (have to throw these qualifiers in lol)

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Bingo!! You did catch my implication. Now here's my question. If you beleive the organization to be as bad as you portray in this post, why do you want to fade? Do you not find it extremely hypocritical? If you remain in association, you are tacitly supporting what you claim to hate. This is how it appears to me, at any rate. (have to throw these qualifiers in lol)
    Guess you didn't read my profile huh? Here it is;
    Married,63, five grown children, eight grandchildren, now raising an Autistic(Asperger's Syndrome)grandson,16. Baptized '72 but going to KH since '69, DAed myself in '99. Our entire family shredded to bits because of WTS shunning policy. My parents and sister disowned me BECAUSE I became a JW! Some hate me because I left the WTS after discovering what sneaky LIARS they are and others hate me because I stopped associating with them when I became a JW, and refuse to accept my apologies for my JW behavior for 30 years. One daughter married an elder and has completely disowned me, my other kids (nonJWs) are upset at the way they were raised and all they missed out on that can never be brought back for them. I was an advocate for the legal rights and services for Special Ed kids,and was going to specialize in Autism/ Asperger's and was fighting for their needs because THEY can't. Suffering two strokes and a heart attack in 2003 I have had to stop my efforts to help these kids. I have lost many abilities (slurred speech and right-side paralysis) but I can still type! (slowly but surely)! I HATE injustice of any kind, and unfair policies that people have to live by. You can TELL when my Irish temper flares up at these things, here on JWD or anywhere else!

Not everyone here is fading.

Annie

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Well, it's not exactly my point of view, now is it?

I mistakenly thought you were the original poster because of your direct response here to my advice for the original poster who does want to fade. My apologies. However, I stand by the other assertions I made.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Unless you have found the perfect religion (which is a oxy-moron), why? If their happy, leave them be. Otherwise you might have to deal with a friend who falls into depression, or worse and wish you just left it alone.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Again I agree with Free to Be!

I was thinking the same thing. I read here of so many that leave and just don't know what to do with themselves.
    They are like displaced people.

They have to want to leave. I would let them decide what is best for THEM! It will affect their whole life.

Snoozy..who left of her own free will .
    PS since hubby died I have done a lot of thinking..I almost wish I had gone back for him. I would have been faking it but I would have been OK with that. At least the family would have been in harmony. Especially since he wouldn't leave.

I wouldn't have been active tho. Couldn't have pushed it that far.

As I see it..it wouldn't have been any different than going to his airplane shows or gun shows..they got pretty boring too!..But I did it for him...

• avengers
    avengers
    My question is: Is it right to try to get other JW’s out of the organization.

I've been trying for years. The "die-hard " dubs don't want to listen to anything against the WT.
    But like my two youngest kids figured things out on their own, and they're resp. 14, 16 years old.

Keep on chiseling at the WT walls and you'll succeed in breaking down the walls; slowly but surely.

Andy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit