Is it morally OK to try to free people from the WTS and how?

by DannyBloem 43 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I have some serious questions here.

I am still a JW but fading away slowly. Still have some privileges etc, but that will not be too long I suppose.

My question is: Is it right to try to get other JW’s out of the organization.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Depends if you love em...depends if you wish for people you love to belong to a self serving, hypocritical, child sacrificing, mind controlling cult really.

Me personally I am not the sort of person who could picket outside Kingdom Halls and DAs and CAs but as far as my family are concerned...if I felt it was right for them I would try to get them to leave.

Why do you ask...do you feel its morally right?

DB74

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

why wouldn't it be morally ok?

i'll tell you what it is: dangerous in the sense of probably losing friends and family, desillusioning because your potential "convert" maybe simply doesn't accept logical facts and most of all - time consuming. and if an elder hears about it, that was it.

my advice: try to calm down, settle yourself, collect enough proof for the issues you are interested in. then just throw in some points of view in normal conversation, but never, never ever try to force a topic.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Yes, I would argue that it is morally acceptable.

If you need help with this email me.

Jeff Schwehm

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think the question should be, is it morally OK not to try to free people from the WTS?

How? That's a difficult one. Have you been to factnet.org? Good stuff there. I talk a bit about it in my book too (which will be available in about a week). Hard to discuss an entire long strategy in a post, but here it is in a nutshell:

The best thing is to not come off as an apostate. Ask small questions once in a while and leave them to ponder it. Don't argue; don't talk about it too often or too long. Coming off too strong will make them run screaming back into the arms of the WTS with a stronger resolve to be a better dub. Help them realize you can be a good, moral, decent human being without the WTS. Let them know you will be there for them no matter what.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

To a Jehovah Witness you can't even reason that. To those who left - yes I reckon it's our moral duty to try.....but that would be very difficult as it has to come from the, because trying to convince them that "the truth" is not the truth is a very difficult task (different if they already have doubts)

Best bet is to break the trust in the organisation, that the WTBTS is NOT the chosen organisation that God uses. I've been reasoning with my family that if this organisation that claims to be the voice of God makes so many mistakes on prophecy how can it be, because even though the phrophets of old were imperfect when God spoke through them, whatever they said on Gods' behalf happend.....not so with this organisation.

But now they will no longer talk to me - but hopefully I sowed enough seeds of doubt.

• jula71
    jula71

I think the question is, knowing what we now know, is it immoral not too? But I agree with LouBelle, hardcore ones there is no reasoning with. But ones that start to question, we owe it to them to tell them the truth. I wish someone did that for me a long time ago.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Is it right to try to get other JW’s out of the organization.

If it is wrong to try and free Witnesses, than it is wrong to help a drug addict go to rehab and its wrong to help someone escape a burning building.

• garybuss
  • DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Sorry for some reason not all text was put on the board? Here is it again....

Is it morally OK to try to free people from the WTS and how?

I have some serious questions here.

I am still a JW but fading away slowly. Still have some privileges etc, but that will not be too long I suppose.

My question is: Is it right to try to get other JW’s out of the organization.

Most people would say YES! Probably but….

1) What would I give them back? When I (if ever possible) I can make them see that there is no God, they will lose the hope of living forever etc. I take away their hope (even if this hope is bases on nothing). This would probably not make them happier.

2) Some are happy now in the organization, because they do not have to think. The thinking is done for them. And for some that is probably a lot better…. They can’t handle it otherwise, would not want it. Etc. When leaving the org, they would just go somewhere else maybe even worse.

3) It would tear families and friends apart. (if I was able to convince some).

4) Why should I care? There are billions of people lied to by religions. At least JW’s do not use the religion to encourage its members to fight. Why not try to get all people out of the religions, the Muslims for example (extremist Muslims probably worse the JW). Or whatever other religion, not much worse not much better. I can’t change 90% of the world population.

On the other hand even if the truth is not very nice to hear, it is still the truth. I mean that counts for me. I am not happy that there is no God, but well just believing in it, does not create him.

Then second, what will be the best way to convince people about the badness of the (b)org.?

There is now the TV program called ‘There is no God’ but they probably do not watch it. (Finally not some f***ing Christ saved me, and killed ten others, American reality show).

I am thinking of just e-mailing all brothers that I know just a link to the UN site the famous document. This can be enough for some maybe. Just with the serious question if it is true, or something that they have to read it.

Some other suggestions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit