ExJWs: Get Used To It : THE WATCHTOWER WILL NOT DIE OUT

by steve2 25 Replies latest jw friends

• aniron
    aniron

I don't think the WT will die out completly, there will always be a hardcore. Congregations will become static in their members, then gradually start to shrink as younger ones turn away and leave.

I remember watching a program about the Exclusive Brethern. One of the things that puzzled me is that at meetings the men are not allowed to wear jackets or ties, it was never explain why. One of the other things was they owned a house were if a person had broken one of their rules they would be put in isolation, not allowed to leave the house and only visited by the Elders. One woman who had left but wanted to return, spent 6 months alone in the house.

I know someone who left the EB when in his early 20's. His parents cut off all contact completly for 10 years. In that time he got married had children, but still no acknowlegdment from his parents. Then one day they contacted him saying the rules had been changed. They could visit him, but he couldn't vist them. Also they were not allowed to eat or drink while in his house.

• steve2
    steve2
    -- Recent developmentsUnder the leadership of Bruce Hales, who took over in early 2002, some of the rules of separation have been relaxed.

Hey greetings Blindersoff and welcome! I did not know this and appreciate the update. I guess what it says to me is, if the JWs go harder-lined than present, it may not be permanent but will be more of a desperate ploy to keep the rank and file clean. However, if the exodus escalates (try saying that fast more than ten times) they may adopt a more conciliatory 'let's-work-this-out-together' approach. God knows the Watchtower's been through the leniency versus hardline before. Look at what happened in Russell's dying days and Rutherford's seizing control, and the seeming breath of more tolerant air after Rutherford kicked the bucket.

I'm enjoying the responses to this thread. Thanks. S2

• Scully
    Scully

Metatron is fond of saying that the WTS's survival depends on its doctrines and members becoming dumber and crazier. Having a model (or several models) of that behaviour already in place, it's not hard to envision it happening with the WTS as well.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Even if the WTS doesn't totally collapse and vanish from the face of the earth their total membership could be reduced permanently to about 10% of its current number of 6 million.

However artful they may be in denying their doctrinal and historical problems and suppressing dissent with a ferocious shunning policy eventually people that can't see the end coming will be leaving in droves.

At the end of the day the only people that will really suffer are the GB and perhaps the unknown shareholders because their business will lose most of its slave work force. On the other hand they've done so well by now in accumulating properties and other assets I don't think they really care. Perhaps to them the slave workforce is just an additional bonus.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I guess what it says to me is, if the JWs go harder-lined than present, it may not be permanent but will be more of a desperate ploy to keep the rank and file clean.

S2,

How do you define "clean". (rhetorical-not personal to S2) Let me count the ways! (inserting a little poetry here---very little)

The WTS version of clean is CONTROLLING. It's under the heading of "desperate measures, chapter 4" in the GB handbook. It has nothing to do with keeping the JWs spiritually clean at all. See also "tightening the WTS noose, chapter 2".

There's an interesting chapter in the same handbook that deals with "Pulling the wool over the sheep's eyes" that says to keep the sheep in the dark and feed them Bu**shit. All very informative chapters.

they may adopt a more conciliatory 'let's-work-this-out-together' approach.

I may have an old copy Steve, I don't see that chapter in the book. They may have added an extra pamphlet to be slipped into the existing book but I didn't get one. It was more than likely quite an eye-opener!

Personally I hope they do cartwheels of foolishness to keep proving to others in and out of the WTS---JUST how controlling and manipulative they really are.

Building on their past history, they have made many bad mistakes in management. If they don't soften up the stale bread and promote some real "bread upon the waters " of love and true forgiveness, they are only shooting themselves in the foot and driving the JWs away. But then, I'm all for THAT!!!

Annie

• Satanus
    Satanus

I agree that they will not totally dissappear. The world is going in the direction of mixing cultures and breaking them down at the same time. Imo, this trend will make it more open for, more places, more tolerance for cultures of all kinds. In that scenario, the only thing that would erase the jw org is if there were no more of the kinds of people that like to experince exclusivist, controling type religion. I think there will always be some people that have that weekness, at least for part of their lives.

S

• Dansk
    Dansk

Take it from me, the Watchtower WILL completely disappear. You cannot stop evolution. The organisation is already being watered down by those from within. The internet is also playing a major part in its downfall. I'm pretty sure there'll be one or two new Ray Franz's, also, who can no longer stomach the hypocrisy, lies and the allegiance to a hegemonic upper class who receive less spiritual direction from Christ than Muslim Mullahs!

I just wonder who'll get all the money when they sell off all the real estate and other assets..........................?

Have faith and courage, Watchtower's days are numbered.

Ian

• Mystery
    Mystery

They prey upon the week and needy. When I was a JW, i was at the grave of a friend's child alone. A JW drove into the graveyard and came over to talk to me. Needless to say I told her that I was a JW and I knew the hope of resurrection blab, blab, blab.

About a year ago, I was making copies at a copy center, my doctor called and told me the situation with my back. I began crying; a lady walks up and asks if she could help. I told her no thank you. She then began talking about God healing all pain and illness. I ask her if she was a JW. "Yes." I replied: "I know he is going to heal all people left after Armageddon and the resurrected ones; but pretty much everyone in this building will be destroyed, right?"

Both times they approached I was upset. They were there to "help", to show "compassion", to show "love" - if they continue this, unfortunately, there will always be members.
  • DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

It will die out, but it will take more then a century. It will die out with all other religion. But WTS will be one of the longest lasting, together with some non-christian religions.

at least that is my expectation. B ut I am not a prophet...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Perhaps not die out, but a catastrophic decline is possible. There are other models, both religious and secular to compare to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit