ExJWs: Get Used To It : THE WATCHTOWER WILL NOT DIE OUT

by steve2 25 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

There is a precident for the JWs becoming more hard-lined: The Exclusive Brethren.

Prior to 1959 the Exclusive Brethren, whilst conservative, tended to have a more open outreach and even allowed some fraternizing with non-members. However, following directions from their leaders in 1959, they suddenly slammed closed the doors, introducing beliefs such as: Refusing to eat meals with anyone who was not a member and (this makes me sick) automatically breaking up families if one spouse questioned the authority of the leaders. They also kicked out modern technology such as radios and TVs. Their excommunication policy is a model in mean-spiritedness. When they excommunicate you, boy are you treated as one who is dead: You will not even be notified if anyone in your family is ill or has died.You may find out - by chance - several years later. They have lots of beleifs in common with the JWs: They are also pacifists, do not become involved in politics (hence, they don't vote), they have several meetings a week and on weekends, spend long hours in cramped halls; they avoid the language of "Christendom" which is reviled. The woman are not allowed to cut their hair, but must wear scarves, and the men have a mousy, 1950s rural look about them. Now, true to expectations, the only growth they report is from within (i.e., children born into the religion.).But they 're not worried: There are several thousand here in New Zealand alone, and there are always huge numbers of late model vehicles parked around their unnamed fortresses (another similarity: they hate the word "church").

From a reasonably outward looking group, to an insular, self-absorbed group - all within less than a generation.

Oh, yes, the Watchtower has a ready-made model to follow, if the bleeding exodus continues much longer.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

The first time I read about the Exclusive Brethern the similarities to the Shitnesses blew me away. It's one of the best cults to refer dubs to to see the mind control tactics, them and the Scientologists.

GBL

• JW83
    JW83

Yes, but sects like this have died a natural death before. I read somewhere recently about the Mennonites? (I might have the name wrong) - there are no members left.

• JW83
    JW83

the Shitnesses

• avengers
    avengers
    THE WATCHTOWER WILL NOT DIE OUT

You mean I created this headstone for nothing? I don't think so. lol.

Andy

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I read somewhere recently about the Mennonites? (I might have the name wrong) - there are no members left.

You must have the name wrong, there are plenty of Mennonites - they act as a liaison between the real world and their fellow Moravians, the Amish. You may be thinking of the Shakers. They died out quite simply because they didn't reproduce - sex was sinful, and the time was short. Similar to the Dubs, you could say. However, the Shakers left a legacy in such things like their simple but elegant furniture designs and the safety pin. Can you say that humanity has been similarly enriched by Dubbism?

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

From their website----

--Recent developmentsUnder the leadership of Bruce Hales, who took over in early 2002, some of the rules of separation have been relaxed.

There is a new policy towards those who have left the Exclusive Brethren. Instead of pushing them away, the church is trying to hold onto them by maintaining or re-establishing contact with them.

Brethren representatives are visiting former members, including those who'd been ejected, some of whom left more than 30 years separation. Families have been allowed to make contact with members who have left.

In some cases local priests have made apologies where the church acted unwisely, too hastily, or without thorough investigation and failed to display "the spirit of the glad tidings" or "the mercy of God".

Contact with family members will probably now only be absolutely banned where a person is actively hostile to the Exclusive Brethren and their way of life.

• JW83
    JW83

Stephanus, you are absolutely right, it was the Shakers!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Contact with family members will probably now only be absolutely banned where a person is actively hostile to the Exclusive Brethren and their way of life.

You think some of those ejected 30 years ago may be among those "actively hostile"?

• steve2
    steve2
    You mean I created this headstone for nothing? I don't think so. lol.

Love the cover! Trouble with coming up with an epitaph before death is that life may have something else in store for you! The "death" of the Watchtower will probably be metaphorical long before it is literal. People have an unnerving capacity to force their old beliefs into new, seemingly contradictory contexts - and the witnesses have exhibited to bend their beliefs within a heartbeat. For example, they seem to really believe themselves when they proclaim: "But we didn't say the world would end in 1975..."

I'm sure that if I live to be 100, the Watchtower will still be around in some form and will still be making some noise and some sucker will still be walking the harsh streets here in New Zealand. I'm hitting 52 later this year. Sigh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit