Witnesses and alcoholism

by Grace 29 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

When I was still in the organization, I used to tell the elders how much he drank. I wanted and needed their help. I think they ignored me because I am a woman and it is not showing headship to complain about your husband. I don't think they really believed me because, after all, he is NEVER drunk at meetings. I believe they suspect he drinks a lot, but I know they didn't take me seriously when I asked for their help years ago when I was a faithful ministerial servant's wife.

Grace

Awww yes alcohol the saving grace of JW's! I do believe most of them drink and I mean to excess to numb out the mind numbing beliefs of the cult.

I also went to the elders regarding my X's drinking and during the committee meeting with my X present where he admitted he had a drinking problem which kept him from doing all he could in the troof. The brilliant advise the elders gave him was to not drink on meeting days!

I was shocked with such stupid advise and even asked the presiding overseer if his drug of choice was heroin, crack or pot would he give him the same advise???? He said well no those are illegal to use!

gerrrrrrrr!!!! I got up and walked out of the committee meeting!

Guess I should note that every one of the three elders present in that meeting were and are alcoholics of course they wouldn't think so then or now.

• Grace
    Grace

I am thinking the use/abuse of alcohol within top-ranked MS and elder Witnesses is pretty rampant. Again, it slays me how they will make a big show out of their blood cards flashing in their wallets (they have so much faith they will die for it), and yet, behind closed doors, they are breaking another one of God's commandments .... the neither fornicators nor drunkards will inherit ... one.

Everything is a public show with these blind sheep. They don't get that God exists and can see behind closed doors. How tragic for them.

Grace

• JAVA
    JAVA

I knew several JWs with drinking problems, to the point of needing help to stand. If the medical community put alcohol in blood transfusions the Witnesses would burn their No Blood Cards.

• steve2
    steve2
    If the medical community put alcohol in blood transfusions the Witnesses would burn their No Blood Cards.

An astute conclusion, JAVA! JWs sure love those scriptures that permit alcohol (in moderation). Very comforting scriptures indeed - slurp, slurp...

Cult-thinking allows individuals to carry on with their individual private "sins" whilst making a huge public noise about the more esoteric, extreme beliefs. I have a JW aunt who for years has been one of the loudest defenders of the JW blood issue. However, she presently faces a significant medical-related need to have blood, and my mother informs me my aunt has become very quiet on the blood issue. It would not surprise me if she does what unknown numbers of JWs do in such circumstances: Quietly agree to the blood.

• JAVA
    JAVA
    Sometimes as I drive up to the building, I thank my Higher Power that He was able to evict that deadbeat, Joe Hoba.

Sith -- That is quite a story about your old KH becoming a place that's now doing good and is a service to the community. Great story! Thank you, and I admire what you're doing, Sith.

It would not surprise me if she does what unknown numbers of JWs do in such circumstances: Quietly agree to the blood.

Steve -- I hope your JW aunt has the courage to do the right thing and access medical treatment for her symptoms. My mother is 90-years old and requires a bood transfusion from time to time. Thank god she is not a JW because she would have died years ago without the life-saving transfusions. I give blood a couple of times a year because I know it's the right thing to do.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My stepd, a MS, drank until oblivion. That's usually when he'd come to my bedroom.

After I was DF'd, a friend and I were partying at a bar 30 miles away from home. Who did I stumble on to? A group of MS &elders. I could't resist the urge to send them a round of drinks. For a minute I think they thought the drinks were demonized!! That was priceless!!!!!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

All of my old dub buddies were drunk practically every weekend. So was I back then.

You gotta feel sorry for 'em.

GBL

• freedom96
    freedom96

My dad was an elder for most of my youth, and I remember sitting down with our once a week personal study, and every time he had a very strong drink right next to him.

Never thought about it, until my mom told me several years ago that he would get drunk just about every single night, many times to the point of passing out.

And to think he was quite a prestigious elder during all that time.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Growing up drinking heavily was something I saw so many JW's do. My Dad was the PO in the congregation and the other elders were always coming to the house , and they were always drinking. My dad was not a heavy drinker but he sure had Crown or wine waiting for at least two of the elders who came by to talk over "congregation matters". I saw them drunk on a regular basis.

My mother was addicted to pain pills and her problem was swept under the rug so to speak. I feel that because of the heavy drinking , ( drunkeness of some ) that they let her slide . Plus , my Dad being an elder , he handled many of our family problems on his own. Years later I often wondered if the elders would have not abused alcohol would my Mother's fate been different? Would she have been told to get help, instead of being told she didnt need any outside help from doctors or chemical dependancy groups?

It just makes me sick to this day that she was disfellowshipped for smoking cigs , when for so many years she was abusing pain pills. I truly know that her addiction was a serious sickness , both medically and mentally. I still don't believe that she should have been punished for it, but honestly I could have seen the elders back then, reproving her for her drug abuse , which was so much worse than smoking. For my Mom it was not a well kept secret. She stumbled( literally) into the KH, stoned out of her mind, feel asleep there, feel asleep at gatherings in her soup bowl. There were many that abused alcohol at gatherings as well, and I guess they knew they were guilty of the same thing she was, just a different form of abuse , a different chemical.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    Here's the kicker. The Kingdom Hall that I attended for the first 10 years of my JW life was sold a while back. The local AA fellowship bought and remodeled it. It's where I attend most of my meetings. Sometimes as I drive up to the building, I thank my Higher Power that He was able to evict that deadbeat, Joe Hoba.

if that's not the funniest and most ironic thing I ever read, I don't know what is!

I wish you continued success on your road to recovery!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit