Without the Internet. Would you still have been a active believing dub??

by Samuel Thorsen 71 Replies latest jw friends

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I left 20 years ago when the Watchtower was still teaching that Russia and the US were going to destroy Babylon the Great. So actually I could see even without all the mountains of other stuff I have learned the last couple years that they did not have the 'Truth'. And what really opened my eyes was a workshop 3 years ago at a Baptist Church on cults. The Watchman had a lecture, and a table with tapes and booklets that were pure Watchtower quotes of all the flip-flops over the years on different Bible verses. And I learned about the Beth Sarim house in San Diego (1930's or so I believe) where supposedly Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were going to be resurrected and the Watchtower Society was saving the house for them--when I found out about that particular item, that pretty much did it for me, I started realizing that the JW's were NUTS!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Not sure - there are still hard copies of Ray Franz and other books and the pedophile scandal and othere things would have still hit the fan I think

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

The Dateline pedophile scandal is what initially got me to really step back and think about things. The internet helped me along so that I didnt just dismiss my doubts and press onward on "Jehovah's Service" So I guess the answer would be probably still a believing JW but most likely an unhappy one.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Probably!!!

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

Like other have said, the internet really opened my eyes to how crazy witness beliefs are. Up till I found out about 607, the U.N and false predections I even defended the BORG when others talked about them. Once I found out all that's out there, I realized that I was in a cult and the freedom from being out is just AWESOME!

Thank you internet and thank you Apostate Websites!!!!!

" Brothers dont shank hands, brothers got to hug"

Clayton

• Jez
    Jez

I was disfellowshipped, DYING to have someone hear my story, I found freeminds.org and asked if I could post my story there. Randy was very very kind, listened and offered condolences. Through a link there, I found JWD.

Love not being the identifying mark, has always always bothered me. My own real experience confirmed it as did hundreds of stories I have read here. I would not be as strong, unafraid, or positive today without having my fears and doubts validated via the internet.

Jez

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

No. Left in 1977. Raised a jw, but even as a child I could see things did not add up. Once I got mature enough and brave enough to think for myself and trust my own gut feelings, I dropped them like hot s***t. But, I did/do still have a few lingering fears and triggers. After stumbling on this site about 1 yr ago, I have found it to be excellent therapy and validation of what my heart already knew; that my mind had been screwed with. Sooooo, thank you internet and all of you posting here!

• m. kirov
    m. kirov

I left a while ago, but I would still defend the religion- saying crap like: "I'm not living like a JW. If I ever go back to religion, I would go back to them." I didn't want to "bring reproach" when I was going in and out of the dope house or totally drunk in some bar. So, no. BUT, I would not have know about them joining the UN. It was "bennyk" who helped me out. He is well versed in the scriptures- he's read the bible 13 times and the New Testament and additional 8 times. He knows a little Greek and studdies various commentaries. In the beginging of the year I have had at least nine 3hour calls w/ him about the scriptures- that kind of interest was never there before or after I got baptized. I'm trying to live better, but am not yet abiding by all of the scriptures. I've bneen clean almost 3 years and intend to stay that way, but not to keep from being disfellowshipped I dispise "the truth" but love God and his Son (who is the head of the congregation, NOT the Faithful and Discreet Slave).

• bennyk
    bennyk

Before reading anything 'apostate', I had already left for reasons of conscience: my Bible-trained conscience would not permit me to worship the Golden Calf (WTS).

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

No, I made up my mind based upon my true feelings.

The website just made me realize I was not crazy.

Brooke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit