Without the Internet. Would you still have been a active believing dub??

by Samuel Thorsen 71 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

The Information super highway has helped me cope with my latent PTSD.

It's been my therapy

I exited before the WWW the thing that clinched it for me was learning that JW's are a spin off the the adventist.

The Millerites: Armageddon (History Channel)

modem (low bandwidth) version

DSl/Cable (high bandwidth) version

What a shocker!

• fifi
    fifi

No. I was disfellowshipped long before internet access (1987). Went through long periods of depression until my brother told me to Google "Jehovahs Witnesses".

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    reading Rutherford's books and the abuse issue pushed me out the door.

Blondie, can you suggest any official JW reading I can recommend to my JW friends that might have the same effect? The proclaimers book??

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

No I would not be.

What the internet did was CONFIRM what I already knew or suspected.

I did learn many new things and for that I am grateful.

LHG

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Great Topic!

For Nomadsoul: Welcome to this board! I'm curious how your family treats you, or are you publicly OUT? Congrats on using your mind and going on to college!

AuntieJane

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

From my post on the Why did you become an Exjdub thread.

I've had my doubts for a long time. I just hoped things would change for the better. Then back in November a bunch of things synched up at once for me.

1. I felt I was spiritually weak, I was really bothered by what I saw as hypocrisy on the blood issue, so I started an intense restudy of the bible. I found our research materials sometimes quiet lacking, so I started going direct to the source, Strongs, etc. I started to see some problems with the NWT like using the term exercise faith instead of believe. One day I was reading Revelation 7 in the interliniear and saw enopion used both to reference the position of a great crowd and the 24 elders and 4 living creatures, "wait a second" I said. *Flips over to revelation 19* No wonder, the great crowd is in heaven. I saw these as blatant lies to support the dogma of the society.

2. We had the bible reading which included Deut 18:20-22.---- As I read those verses and researched what the society said about them, I could tell they were hiding something. (One of the awakes completely distorted what 18:20-22 says)

3. That same month a brother came to give a talk in which he referenced the 1975 issue. It then hit me that though I had a canned response ready for opposers if they brought up 1975, I really didnt know what the society said about it back in the late 60s early 70s. So I researched every ref to 1975 and found that Deut 18:20-22 applied to them in every way.

4. One day I was researching the word "Jehovah" and googled it. Whoa! look at all these sites. The first site I clickyd was Randy's (dogpatch) I thought "hah! stinking apostate losers" But I read some for a laugh. I loved his tales from beth'el. Then from his randytv page I found JWD. I was like "oh brother more apostates" But as I read you guy's posts, I realized that apostates are not the 'frothing at the mouth' lunatics I was told about. I also realized, I was an apostate too.

So here we be.

So I think it would have happend with out the web, I just think the evolution might have taken years, not months. I think what the web did for me was sho me that the picture the society paints of apostos is not true.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I'd probably still be dragging my ass to meetings, yeah. I'd just have pent up hardcore doubts for years but still think they had the 'truth' somehow. I have always been a skeptic.. sitting in the back row questioning things and having bouts of laughter in all the wrong places during the meetings. I learned about Franz' books, read about the misrepresentations in the Creation book from AlanF, the 607 B.C deliberate lies, the child abuse fiasco, and the ridiculous blood policy in detail - all from the internet. It helped push me over the threshold.

Thank you, internet.

GBL

• garybuss
    garybuss

I quit associating in 1974 when I was 30 after I realized what the year text meant and after being bullied and messed with by the Witness people. I was a believing walkaway until 1992 when I read Crisis Of Conscience. In 1995 the Witness people came at me with flamethrowers when I had a 72 hour mental health hold put on my Witness son. That was a turning point for me. That's when I first contacted former Witnesses.

Randy Watters told me about the internet and the email group of ex Witnesses. So I got a new computer and started posting. After that I left a written history of articles and posts. The internet connection has been a real benefit for me. It's been an outlet for me to write about what I think about. It's been an education. I've meet great people, quite a few in person.

It keeps me informed of activities of the Witness group. I like it!

I wasn't a believer in my adolescence and followed on a perihelial level as a skeptic in my 20's. I got emotionally caught up in the hype about 1975 and my first wife's enthusiasm but I was a rat in a lifeboat. The mean Witness people and the lies they told about their failed predictions for 1975 pushed me out like an ejection seat.

Their message to me since I left is: "We didn't like you when you were a Witness!". I sensed that. It was actually good to hear it and see it in print. Now I know I didn't imagine it.

• Sassy
    Sassy

No. I left because i couldn't take it any more..

but thanks to JWD, I learned I didn't have to feel guilty about my choice..

Who knows, I might have returned without the internet.. I would have sowed some wild oats.. let them df me and then maybe would have gone back after I missed my mom and stuff..

so now that I know the truth....about the truth.. I know not to waste my time doing that.. and enjoy life

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

I was on my way out of the JWs before I got online. However, the internet helped me to leave more quickly and it also helped in that it created a support group for me as I left.

Jeff Schwehm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit