Why do you post here?

by seattleniceguy 44 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

For me, it's mainly the money and the women, I suppose.

No, but seriously, I was thinking the other day about why I post here. In September it will be two years since I left the organization. I don't much care for doctrinal debates anymore, and I usually pass on threads that are concerned with he-said-she-said kind of stuff inside the organization. So why do I post here?

When I left the organization, I was dumbfounded and awestruck by the process of growth I went through and the realization of what the world really was. It felt like walking out of a small house and realizing for the first time that there was an entire universe on the other side of that door. I gradually came to see that not only Witnesses, but fundamentalists of all colors (including non-religous fundamentalists) were trapped in similar tiny boxes, and I wished I could help them see the same things that I had seen. I wished that for a moment I could make them see through other eyes, to understand through another mind.

I became determined to write. If I could somehow convey what I had learned to others who might similarly improve their lives, my experience would not have been in vain. I wanted to write a novel or a screenplay that distilled my experiences and framed them in a setting with broader appeal, probably a non-religious setting. I still hope to do this.

I realized the other day that the reason I post here is because of this urge to help others through writing. In this board, we have an incredible thing - the prospect of being read by hundreds or even thousands of other humans in a very specific target audience. A good discussion helps not only those who read it now, but others who may come later. The author of the thread hones their ability to write well, and the readers (including the writers on the thread) get a chance to consider new ideas.

I suppose if I were to frame this in JW terminology, I might say that it is "love of neighbor" that prompts me to write here. But it feels cheap and clichéd when put in those terms. In my case, it is not dictates from some supposedly holy book, nor peer pressure from a the social network in a religious order that drives me. It is a genuine desire to interact, to learn, to share, to see things though different eyes, and to allow others to do the same. This is much, much more than I ever experienced in field service as a Witness.

Sorry if I rambled. I suppose I'm feeling write-y today. What drives you to post?

SNG

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I remember how I felt a few years ago, how desperate and unhappy as a witness with doubts.. I want to help people who felt the same way I did to get on with a much better life.

Also, nobody else really understands like an ex-witness does. Its a unique bond that we all share.

GBL

• fairchild
    fairchild
    For me, it's mainly the money and the women,

For me it's mainly the money and the guys.

I started posting here, not realizing that this forum had more ex JWs than active JWs. I was looking for some support, because I wanted to get baptized. Obviously, that didn't happen after I found out about 607 BCE, the UN, etc... etc... and in the end, "This generation" really bit me in the ass like a rabid dog.

I now come to this site because I have made some friends here. JWD feels more like home than the KH ever did. I learned what I know about the WTS on JWD and through reading CoC. It is my turn to welcome newbies and share a bit of what I have learned. Other than that, the occasional funny threads are entertaining....

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Free therapy.

• doogie
    doogie

hey SNG,

good post. my reasons are less altruistic. i've learned more here than anywhere else and i guess the more you read here the more likely you are to write as well. plus, this is the only place that i can freely associate (ugh...ugly word...interact) with so many other free-thinkers that demand proof before belief. the logic that certain posters here have is just awesome to me and helps me remember that i'm not crazy. (i live in the heart of texas for crying out loud...sanity is sometimes hard to come by)

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Like GBL said a common bond we share.

I have people to talk to. I have those that understand and will give me advice. Not only do I have Friends on here but I call them Family. I have Mothers Sisters Brothers Dad's on here that I have adopted. This is my Family this is where I belong.

Brooke

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

SNG,

You are a wicked, evil, raving apostate. I can tell this from your writing.

My heart hurts when I see someone struggling with being afraid of Harma geddin, or being mistreated by the org, I hate it. Usually I post just to hear myself say something .

Im beyond the "convinceing myself/therapy" stage

But really I just hope it can help ease their anxiety, or help in some way. I dont know if it does.

Or maybe helping others is a type of therrapy? Hmmm.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Well I'm relatively new still to the forum, but I have learned sooooo much the last 2 months about the JW organization that I didn't have a clue about before. I have been out for many years, but only started researching the last couple years more so the last few months. So one of the reasons I post is to learn more from other people. I don't feel trapped by the JW thinking anymore--that has left me the more I learn.

But like you, I also really feel inclined to be helpful to others who are trying to free themselves. I don't want to see other people lose years of their lives being unhappy and feeling trapped by false beliefs. I feel like I'm on a mission to teach people who don't have any knowledge of the WS, to beware of the JW's who come knocking on their doors. I'm even working on my own little tract, but I'm not sure if I'll ever distribute it; right now it's more like a hobby.

• hubert
    hubert

Where else can I go?

Hmmmmm? That sounds familiar.

Hubert

• xjwms
    xjwms

Free Therapy?

I view this as a support group. We understand each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit