Something the speaker said yesterday that got my wife thinking. Advice?

by PaNiCAtTaCk 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty

She basically just knows that you go to meetings go in service and be a JW and hopefully you make it.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but also ask why she can not be sure of making it when Romans 10:9 (even states this in the apostate NWT bible) is a promise from God of what it takes to make it.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

This is one of those big doubts I had about jw in general. Once I started thinking, I realized that they cannot prove 1914 to be true at all! It was explained to me many times, and of course 607 was used in that. But, there's no date in the bible. This was made up by them for them. And since this date is made up, why else would anything they have to say be held as "truth"?!

• carla
    carla

You should get the book 'The Gentile Times Reconsidered' by Carl Olaf Jonsson. It will certainly help refute the wt 1914 doctrine. Good luck, carla

• gumby
    gumby
    This is just another example of how many raised in the truth in the 30 year old range just go through the motions of being a witness never truly understanding what it is that they believe when it comes to the deeper things. All these years she has heard 1914 and 607 talked about and she basically just spaced out and day dreamed because she couldnt understand

Typical of many witnesses as Ozzie pointed out.

It isn't 1914 that brings people in the doors of Kingdom Halls. For those raised in it or indoctrinated for many years......it's the holiday stance, the preaching stance, the one true faith stance, the political stance. All these things mentioned are canned well enough by the organisation... to convince any searching soul, looking for answers, that the Jehovahs Witnesses have the answers.

These ones allow sound reason to be clouded out by desire for something to believe in.. and dates such as 1914 and 607 come with the territory whether understood or not. Witneeses don't need to understand the funky stuff. They have the truth and that's all they need to know. If called on to explain their faith......they have all the printed material they need that containes the answers in their bookbags.......or know of a smart nerdy fellow dub who will be glad to handle any tough questioners for them.

Gumby

• Mary
    Mary

Actually, the easiest way to explain it is to have your wife read Daniel chapter 4 without the Organizations bullshit "bible study aids". The whole thing about the "7 Times" has absolutely NOTHING to do with 2,520 years; it's simply referring to the 7 years that Nebuchadnezzar would live like an animal. It tells us this right in the bible:

The tree you saw, which grew large and strong, with its top touching the sky, visible to the whole earth, 21 with beautiful leaves and abundant fruit, providing food for all, giving shelter to the beasts of the field, and having nesting places in its branches for the birds of the air- 22 you, O king, are that tree! You have become great and strong; your greatness has grown until it reaches the sky, and your dominion extends to distant parts of the earth.

23 "You, O king, saw a messenger, a holy one, coming down from heaven and saying, 'Cut down the tree and destroy it, but leave the stump, bound with iron and bronze, in the grass of the field, while its roots remain in the ground. Let him be drenched with the dew of heaven; let him live like the wild animals, until seven times pass by for him.'....... Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes. 26 The command to leave the stump of the tree with its roots means that your kingdom will be restored to you when you acknowledge that Heaven rules. 27

33 Immediately what had been said about Nebuchadnezzar was fulfilled. He was driven away from people and ate grass like cattle. His body was drenched with the dew of heaven until his hair grew like the feathers of an eagle and his nails like the claws of a bird.

This scripture---absolutely essential in the JW theology about the tree representing God's Kingdom and that that 2,520 years would pass until Jesus started ruling "invisibly" in 1914 is plain horseshit. There is absolutely NOTHING in the book of Daniel to indicate it's referring to anyone else besides Nebuchadnezzar......there's nothing to insinuate that the 7 times means anything other than the 7 literal years that Nebuchadnezzar was bonkers eating or smoking grass and living like an animal.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere
    their only defense was that I "could" be wrong, though they couldn't say how

Jeffro. that happened to my son. Elders ask him "Is there any way you can be wrong?" He told them to prove him wrong and they disfellowshipped him for Apostasy.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

'The significance of 1914' is much like the expression 'Bible Chronolgy proves'. These expressions roll of the tongues of public speakers easily and give the impression of being undeniable facts. Ask them to prove them and there will be no answer.

Eyeslice

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

it also might do her some good to invite an elder over to fully explain the doctrine. and then you can pepper the conversation with devils advocate questions phrased as: "Well, if I were at a door, and the householder asked/said 'blah blah blah', what would i say?" this might do a lot to show her that she is not the only person that cannot explain the doctrine.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I could follow the argument and delivered it in talks sometimes, but it never really settled with me viscerally . I could repeat the calculations but deep down I knew that

There is absolutely NOTHING in the book of Daniel to indicate it's referring to anyone else besides Nebuchadnezzar....

I remember as a boy. i asked a public speaker , who I knew quite well, how he made the connection in his talk between 7 years on Nebuchadnezzar and 7 times on the world? He just smiled and said with a wink "you have to talk fast through that bit"

I can only repeat the advice of others to research. Who knows where this may lead? Good Luck!

Ps have you checked WTS and Chronology in the "Best of" section on this board?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    There is absolutely NOTHING in the book of Daniel to indicate it's referring to anyone else besides Nebuchadnezzar....

Double amen brotha!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit