Something the speaker said yesterday that got my wife thinking. Advice?

by PaNiCAtTaCk 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

I was working yesterday so I wasnt at the meeting but the speaker in his talk made comments about 1914 on several occasions and towards the end of his talk he mentioned that if any new ones in attendence didnt understand the signficance of 1914 or how we know that Christ started ruling in 1914 that they were invited to ask any JW in attendence to explain these things to them and they would be happy to. This really got my wife to thinking because as a 28 year old JW who was raised as a witness and who has always been very active in the ministry she couldnt explain 1914 or any beliefs that we have as witnesses in regards to 1914 other than things havent been the same in the world since this pivotal date.

Something as simple as this comment from this speaker can be the first step into seeing the errors in the WT belief system. So many of our beliefs are built on the 1914 foundation that with just a small amount of research outside the bounderies of the WT publications can completely wreck someones faith in the society and man.

My wife knows I have a real problem with 1914 and 607. She has heard me on several occasions talk about my research on 607 and mention highlights from CoC. Mostly she has tuned me out just accepting what the society says as truth. But something about the way this brother gave his talk and his mention of 607 and how any JW can explain our beliefs in regards the chronology really got my wife thinking and wanting to finally understand after all these years exactly it is that she is supposed to believe.

She asked me today to help her understand our beliefs realizing she has no idea what she really believes. At one point she was even laughing about the fact that she doesnt even understand where to begin explaining to someone that would inquire about 1914.

This is just another example of how many raised in the truth in the 30 year old range just go through the motions of being a witness never truly understanding what it is that they believe when it comes to the deeper things. All these years she has heard 1914 and 607 talked about and she basically just spaced out and day dreamed because she couldnt understand.

I know one thing that has always bothered me is the mindset that because our parents did it and everyone we know as friends does it it must be the truth right? This same mindset is one thing my wife would really struggle with also. She basically just knows that you go to meetings go in service and be a JW and hopefully you make it.

Anyway Im excited about her really wanting to understand exactly what it is she believes. I would like to show her something that is as basic as you can but still get the point across and then show her where the WT is error. I would like a pre-written article that will save me alot of time and research. If it gets to deep to quick my wifes eyes will just glaze over and I will lose her. I plan on getting my CoC book back out and re-reading the chapters that touch on the subject but if I could find one article that was easy to understand that pretty much said it all I would use that. I read something on here a while back about a kiss explanation or something like that. If someone could post a link to that article that woudl be great also. I am also looking for any other ideas that would help me in getting the points across to her. This brother made such an issue of the importance of 1914 to a Witness that she is really open now to hearing what I have to say. Thanks for any help or input that you have. Thanks in advance.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Panic,

Mrs Ozzie was in "the Truth" for nearly 50 years and never could "explain" 1914!!!

She'd rely on the "Reasoning" book but she always said that whenever dates came up in the meetings or in the magazines she'd switch off! When a speaker would start rabbitting on about some date or another she'd pick up her copy of the Bible and just read it. In fact, she spent most of the meetings that way.

Not surprisingly, this is how she came to know that she wasn't in "the Truth" at all but that it was all a big Lie!

Cheers, Ozzie

BTW elders are well aware that most of their cong. can't explain 1914.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

OK, try the Daniel book and page 87,Daniel is telling King Nebuchadnezzar 'the tree represents HIM and HIS rulership is to the extremity of the earth.' But in that same paragraph the Society contridicts Daniel and says the tree represents God's sovereignty. The next paragraph, Daniel says 'seven times is to pass over Nebuchadnezzar's rulership.' Now go to page 94 and paragraph 26-28, the Society uses these seven times for God's rulership. No where in Daniel's dream or anywhere else in the Bible does it say 7 times would pass over God's rulership. The Society just throws that out in front of you [like that 607] and you are supposed to believe it. They can not have 1914 without 607. Daniel said the tree represented Nebuchadnezzar and that is all it represented. If you check other post, you will find the Society joined the UN [something they say is satan's world] when it was found out they with drew in 2001.They also own 51 percent of a company called Regi U.S.that produces War Weapons. Also they invest in the stock market and one thing they invested in was philip morris cigs. Yet they will disfellowship a person for smoking. They are a bunch of lying hypocrites and the organization is run by Apostates. Was in that mess too long.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

This link talks about 1914 changes and the wording changes in the Awake regarding the 1914 prediction ...it's almost funny how they try and wiggle out of a failed prediction..you can see more on failed predictions and other subjects at the main site...www.jwfiles.com

Snoozy...

This link shows what they felt before about 1914 and how they quietly changed the wording later in the Awake when they stopped using 1914 as a guideline. I can't believe they still use that date in their talks. It also shows the date of the magazines that show the changes concerning the 1914 prediction.They changed the wording on the inside cover of the Awake with the Oct. 22,1995 issue.reflecting that change .(Towards the bottom)

http://www.jwfiles.com/1914Generation.htm

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Aside from the fact that Jerusalem simply *wasn't* destroyed in 607BCE, consider Jeremiah 25:12. It says clearly that the king of Babylon would be called to account "when 70 years have been fulfilled". All well-versed Witnesses know that the king was called to account (killed) in 539 (see Daniel 5:26-30), therefore they cannot be right about the 70 years ending in 537, therefore they did not begin in 607. And it wasn't talking about 70 years of exile for Jerusalem anyway, it was talking about *nationS* serving Babylon (Jeremiah 25:11,17-25).

Though there is a multitude of other scriptural and archaeological evidence that also disproves 607, Jeremiah 25:12 disproves their doctrine from the bible with very simple arithmetic. Still, when I showed the elders this, their eyes just glazed over and their only defense was that I *could* be wrong, though they couldn't say how.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    that they were invited to ask any JW in attendence to explain these things to them and they would be happy to.

Maybe he said this because he couldnt explain the 1914 doctrine to any definate degree!!!

Typical though isnt it?

Good luck with your wife and making her see some sense.

DB74

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Drag out the Cd rom of all the previous watchtower printed material and take her through the articles on Jesus prophecy of the generation after 1914(will take few hours but worth it I assure you). You will see that the org went from written in stone predictions, to silence thru the early 90's, to figurative generation due to nonfulfillment!?

It sure opened my eyes. Never stepped into a KH since. Thankyou cyberworld

• carla
    carla

I know just how you feel, I have been asking husband to explain it for quite some time. He never has, I don't think he can either. I was trying to make him see that-how can you be baptized into an org when you don't even understand it's main doctrine? It's like signing a contract without even reading it! I am in the same situation with 1914 right now as you. Good luck! carla

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

What a relief....for the longest time I thought I was the only one that couldn't understand/explain so many of the JW doctines. I just accepted what I was told and hoped no one ever asked me any hard questions.

Later, I remember my sister telling me that the reason I didn't "get it" was because I didn't have Jehovah's Holy Spirit.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i can explain it

i had a public talk that explained it so i made damn sure if i was asked i could do it

so i asked myself why do we use the daniel prophecy to compare to jahs rulership

and there are several reasons why that is the case

my problem now is that all of my research was all jws based

didnt look elsewhere as i had no reason to doubt it

which i now have

but every jw should be able to explain why they believe it and back it up with biblical and wt publication references

but they cant

but then most catholics cant do the same with the trinity...and i coulda proved that to them even though i dont believe it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit