Children of the 80's!

by MelbaToast 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

What a great time to be a kid! I was a huge Duran Duran fan, my bedroom were covered in their posters, and my denim jacket was smothered in badges. Also - I loved playing air guitar to the Thundercats theme tune. Scooby Doo was great and we had a great Saturday morning show called Tiswas, starring the Phantom Flan Flinger.

I had a Spectrum 48K computer with some really cool games like 'Horace Goes Skiing'. I was really jealous when my cousin got a Commodore 64, now that was real high spec!

There was a girl in my class at high school who could solve a Rubiks cube in under 3 minutes - I just peeled the stickers off mine.

I had the legwarmers, the 'Fame' album, and wished my school would break into song at lunchtime too. I also grew a floppy fringe which I attempted to dye blonde and it ended up a luverly shade of ginger, oh well! So many memories!

FF

• Dustin
    Dustin

The 80's were pretty ugly for me. I was the diehard JW kid that took the persecution thinking I was doing the right thing. Now at this time in my life I finally have found some of my true values. I grew up in a pretty strict family so the memories aren't very good. My best memories come at about age 18 when I started to rebel and think for myself. But I raise a toast, and give a big HELL YEAH to all my fellow generation X friends.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Haha Freedom Fighter! I still have my Commodore VIC-20 in the garage -- even with the old cassette drive! Those Rubik's Cubes were a bitch, but there is a system to solving it. I tried learning it last year but lost interest after about an hour of practicing. hehe

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

hehe, I had to sneak and watch Thundercats because it was deeemunized of course (Lionel had the Sword of Omens) and there were other "demonic" references

-Doodle-V

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

My hubby is still stuck in the 80's as far as loving the music,,,,,hehe.

I was a teen in the 80's ,, I had Pat Benatar hair, pastel clothes, big button earrings, loved rollerskating, and lots of eyeshadow.

Looking back the 80's were not so bad.

• Dustin
    Dustin

I used to hide my "demonized" Van Halen tapes. How sad is that?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

My dad smashed my Prince tape to pieces. He was a little rauchey thou , but I still love Prince, I just hope he dumps the borg soon and get back to what he used to do.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Well, I consider myself an '80's child, because I had no childhood per se, and I was coming out and had a blast. I saw Purple Rain 19 times. Wore my sweatshirt off the shoulder with no bra. Wore high heels and ankle socks with lace. Had some fluorescent lime green socks. Had huge hair like Jon Bon Jovi. Then I got into Breakin'. OMG...I had a spiked collar and wristbands.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter
    dual cassette decks with high-speed dubbing

Oh wow! We had that in our main stereo system at home, I'd forgotten all about that! We also had our bookstudy in an elder's house and he had one of those stereo systems that played both sides of the record without you having to turn it over. I can't find a google pic tho - a company called Amstrad made them.

I also remember spending hours typing out programmes for my ZX Spectrum 48K computer. There used to be pages and pages of them in computer mags and I could never get them to work. Miss a semi colon somewhere and you were screwed.

10 PRINT " Freedom Fighter Rocks "

20 GOTO 10

YAY!!! I filled the screen!!!!!!

FF

• toladest
    toladest

Roller Skating Ruled! I loved Roller Skating and we had a group of JW's that met from various congergations every Sunday night in Sarasota Florida. Remeber the tight legged Jeans and Polo shirts. We were REALLY poor and the first brand new shirt I ever got was a pastel pink polo shirt. I think I wore it every Sunday night. You could get 5 people in for $5 on Sunday nights so all I had to do was come up with $1. I would walk up and down the street looking for change just to go. The only ones there on Sunday nights were JW's and a speed skate team, so the skating rink was good about not playing music that was TOO questionable. (a couple elders used to go and they made sure the music was ok)

What was funny was to see all the girls in leg warmers during the summer in Florida. I never had any myself, as I could not afford them, but I really wanted them. heeeheeehee

Most of my memories from the early to mid 80's were bad, but skating was great. The late 80's got better. I was married at age 17 in 1987 and life improved dramatically for me. Still happily married almost 18 years later!

Laurie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit