Society once again teaches: Creative days were 7000 years each!

by sir82 49 Replies latest jw friends

• skyman
    skyman

Thank you I am glad to here the information. Most of my family believe the 7000 year day and have toed the company line in regards the creation book. If they change and give this New Light to all the drones it will difinitely charge up my families batteries.

• sir82
    sir82

So if this is the "personal doctrinal conservatism of the speaker", rather than an offical position, wouldn't he get called on the carpet for teaching such a personal view?

Or do they cut him some slack because he's an old-timer?

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy
    (she likely sinned shortly after her creation)

Really, where's the proof for this statement? I guess they are saying that since she's a woman that she could have remained faithfull very long. They just get more strange everyday.

We don't know the date of her creation but guess who does? The angels and the demons - especially Satan since he was likely in the garden when she was created. The last 1000 years of the rest period begins with the end of Armageddon and the start of the millenial reign. So, in effect Satan probably knows the time when Armageddon will end and the millenial reign will start he just doesn't know exactly when Armageddon will begin. "Nobody knows the day or the hour only the father." Therefore when Revelation says that when Satan was thrown down to the earth he KNEW his time was short - he likely knew from chronology when the final curtain would be. He just doesn't know when Armagedon will begin or how long it will last.

Huh?? If he knows when Armagedon will end then he has a pretty good idea when it will start. Unless they are now saying that Armagedon will last for years. I was under the impression that it would only last a few days. I mean how long would it take an all powerfull God to exterminate a few billion people?

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

It's funny how much time they spend on unimportant trivia like the exact date Adam and Eve were created or when Eve sinned. But important issues like admitting inconsistencies in their doctrines are ignored.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

sir 82 can u get your friend of a friend to ask about it..and i mean enquire...not question..this doesnt make any sense at all

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I thought they had actually set a date for the creation of Adam & Eve? Sorry, I'm just into the chronology of the wt at the moment. As a non jw it sounds so insane to me, it's hard to follow. They could have used some good fiction writers, at least it would be a better read. However, I am a bit fuzzy on just what the implications of this (yet again) new change is. Can someone fill me in? I'm amost sure I saw something where they already set the date for Eve anyway.

They had set the date (4026 BCE) for the creation of Adam (from the Bible's legendary genealogies), not Eve... And as both were supposed to be created on the 6th day (by mixing up the two accounts of Genesis 1--2:4a / 2:4b--3), it is supposed to be before the beginning of the 7th day. Of course the difference was minimised before 1975 (= - 4026 + 6000), now it is THE big deal as 30 years went by and nothing happened.

Leaving aside the fact that the days in Genesis 1 are just days, not periods, one implicit premise in the argument is that the WT "creation days" have to be round figures... why not 7007, 7077 or 7777 years?

So if this is the "personal doctrinal conservatism of the speaker", rather than an offical position, wouldn't he get called on the carpet for teaching such a personal view?

Or do they cut him some slack because he's an old-timer?

I guess he was later "counseled" privately... Officially the WT never renounced the 7000 years doctrine, but they have avoided any mention of it in the past few years (speaking of "millenia" instead). Apparently they are trying to step out of this mess in a low-profile way, the old fellow didn't get it and goofed.
  • AlanF
    AlanF

Nathan Natas said:

: If anyone can shed additional light on the origin of this teaching - I suspect the WTS "borrowed" it from some un-named "false religious" source - I'd like to know more about it.

Actually this idea goes back well before the time of Christ. Russell acknowledged that it was already an ancient idea even when he adopted it in the 1880s. It's explicitly set out in the 2nd-century apocryphal work "The Epistle of Barnabas". Traces of it can be found in ancient Persian Zoroastrianism going back before 1000 B.C., where the idea that history occurs in 1000-year chunks can be found. Probably the Jews adopted this idea after the Persian conquest of Mesopotamia, and it became part of the same tradition of apocalypticism that was expanded upon the the Revelation of John.

I find it supremely ironic that the Watchtower Society for so long taught this ancient and unscriptural tradition while simultaneously claiming absolute freedom from all traditions.

AlanF

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The idea of Barnabas 15 is slightly different:

Further, also, it is written concerning the Sabbath in the Decalogue which [the Lord] spoke, face to face, to Moses on Mount Sinai, "And sanctify ye the Sabbath of the Lord with clean hands and a pure heart." And He says in another place, "If my sons keep the Sabbath, then will I cause my mercy to rest upon them." The Sabbath is mentioned at the beginning of the creation [thus]: "And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it." Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, "He finished in six days." This implieth that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifieth, saying, "Behold, to-day will be as a thousand years." Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. "And He rested on the seventh day." This meaneth: when His Son, coming [again], shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the-sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day. Moreover, He says, "Thou shalt sanctify it with pure hands and a pure heart." If, therefore, any one can now sanctify the day which God hath sanctified, except he is pure in heart in all things, we are deceived. Behold, therefore: certainly then one properly resting sanctifies it, when we ourselves, having received the promise, wickedness no longer existing, and all things having been made new by the Lord, shall be able to work righteousness. Then we shall be able to sanctify it, having been first sanctified ourselves. Further, He says to them, "Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure." Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day (= Sunday) with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.

Although the writer's ideas are not completely clear, he seems to allow 6000 years for the whole creation + history, which would have history fit into 1000 years, instead of the WT 6-7000.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    In 30 years of time you would think that he got to know Jehovah really well. But we can see something was lacking in his heart. He never really cultivated a strong love for Jehovah

So, the experiment was flawed from the very beginning.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Actually, someone saying something in a Public Talk is not neccesarily a revison of doctrine unless the most recent publications back it up. Elders run off at the mouth and quote superceded doctrine and air personal beliefs in Public Talks. What does the outline say, or was it 'local needs'?

There maybe something new, but the big blue 'Creation' book of the '80's modified the 7,000 years doctrine to an unspecified long period of time for each Creative day.

THAT particular revison 'helped' me stay in past my teen years, damn it. If they HAVE revised it officially, I'm gonna have a whole can of new whup-ass to use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit