Society once again teaches: Creative days were 7000 years each!

by sir82 49 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman
    So if this is the "personal doctrinal conservatism of the speaker", rather than an offical position, wouldn't he get called on the carpet for teaching such a personal view?

No, these guys get away with this kind of stuff all the time. At an elder's "school" less than three years ago, Ted Jaracz told us the dubs were focusing too much on entertainment and chastised this "need" to be entertained all the time as weakness. He said it would be better if we spent Friday and Saturday nights studying. Then he strongly suggested we each go back and re-read all the of the Society's magazines and publications starting in 1919 "so you'll get to know your history."

There was something just short of a collective gasp when he said it. I imagine the last thing on earth the WTS really wants is for all the elders to start reading the old books and start getting confused (or more confused) about dub doctrine. But there it is.

This all falls into the same slack-cutting category that has always been extended to Bethel heavies, as when they go WAY over on a talk or offer up one of those War-and-Peace-length prayers at the end of a convention. They do what the hell they want.

I agree with AlanF. There is definitely a liberal/conservative struggle going on inside the WTS, just as there is in any organization. The only people who do not believe that are those neanderthals who believe the WTS runs on holy spirit and is thus "immune" to politics. And that's clearly not the case, in my personal experience.

• blondie
    blondie

"Aid" book claimed Adam and Eve were created in the same year:
    Adam at age 130 had a son, Seth --Aid to Bible Understanding, p.333Eve at age 130 had a son, Seth -- Aid to Bible Understanding, p.538

This was left out in the 1988 Insight Volumes

*** it-2 p. 899 Seth ***

The son of Adam and Eve born when Adam was 130 years old.

it-1 p. 772 Eve ***

When Adam was 130 years old, Eve gave birth to a son whom she called Seth,

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The Creator book has was released in recent years - there is no way they are going to back-pedal on creative days now. I agree with AlanF that this was Livermore personal opinion and he is stucjk in a rut and has not kept up with new light

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote:
    Society once again teaches: Creative days were 7000 years each!

Then the Reasoning book goes in the trash.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    There are no politics in Bethel and all this tak of liberals and conservatives simply amounts to wishful and perverted thinking. The brother concerned is simply championing the fact that WT chronology is superior to the secular as it is able to go right back to Adam. Jehovah God the great Timekeeper alerts sincere Christians to enough information to develop a workable chronology whereas the Devil's chronology is a mimic, confused and unworkable.

Does scholar remind anyone else of the erstwhile Iraqi Information Minister?

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

"We are not afraid of the Americans. Allah has condemned them. They are stupid. They are stupid" (dramatic pause) "and they are condemned."

"Lying is forbidden in Iraq. President Saddam Hussein will tolerate nothing but truthfulness as he is a man of great honor and integrity. Everyone is encouraged to speak freely of the truths evidenced in their eyes and hearts."

• blondie
    blondie
    The Creator book has was released in recent years - there is no way they are going to back-pedal on creative days now. I agree with AlanF that this was Livermore personal opinion and he is stucjk in a rut and has not kept up with new light

Oldtimers have not caught the subtle readjustment that has been made in recent WT publications regarding the 7,000 year creative days. Although the Creator book was studied at the book study level, that sentence slipped by them. You don't think the higher ups in Bethel actually study? I'm sure someone talked to him privately, someone with a few figurative gonads probably. Isn't Liverance one of the Gilead School instructors? I wondered what else he expounds on that is old light. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/90635/1521516/post.ashx#1521516 Blondie

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

thanx blondie for aid book references...most interesting

willy....i think theodore's comment was a double bluff..he knew no-one would actually go and read the older publications..most couldnt even get hold of them...but he can now say when challenged that he wouldnt have recommended it if there was anything to hide

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    THAT particular revison 'helped' me stay in past my teen years, damn it.

Abaddon, I've thought the same thing. If JWs were young Earth creationists I would have left years earlier!

• IT Support
    IT Support

Might it be that the rise of the fundamentalist right in the US, combined with the increasing visibility of the Intelligent Design movement, is emboldening the GB to flip back to yet another old doctrinal 'flop'?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I always thought they had come up with the 7000 year nonsense since it fits nicely into the idea that we must be close to the end, since Adam was created [by WT speculation] in 4026 BCE. That brought 6000 years to the 1975 date and within the modern era.

All the rest of the speculation - by Liverance and others is just a continuation of the old idea.

I wonder if they will still be blowing this wind in 2200 or 2500? Just how long do they think it would have taken God to create the woman Eve? Afterall, wasn't the 'filling of the earth' a primary goal?

Amazing twists and turns!

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit