The book Crisis of Conscience

by Jim Dee 24 Replies latest jw friends

• toladest
    toladest

I was struck at how Ray was not bitter. He even defended his former brothers throughout the book. He seemed to imply that most of the GB was misled and trying to do right, but that the way things were proved that these were a bunch of imperfect men that were definately not being brought to decisions by holy spirit as we were all led to believe. After all he was a member for MANY MANY years. He does not seem to carry hate in his heart, not if his book reflects his heart.

Bitter....No Way! Did you really read his books??

• yesidid
    yesidid
    Bitter....No Way! Did you really read his books

My thoughts exactly. No bitterness in the books I read.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I bought the fourth edition 5 months ago on Amazon. Here is what he says is his motivation for the book:

Life is uncertain and when a man dies what he knows dies along with him - unless he passes it on while still in life. What this book contains is written out of a sense of obligation to people whom I sincerely love. In all good conscience I can say that its aim is to help and not to hurt. If some of what is presented is painful to read, it was also painful to write. It is hoped that the reader will recognise that the search for truth will, instead, strengthen the basis for true faith. What those reading this information do with it is, of course, their own decision. At least it will have been said, and a moral responsibility will have been met.

Franz is without bitterness. If I were to find fault it might be because he disapproves of anti-JW activism such as picketing Kingdom Halls etc.

I learned much much more truth about the truth from the second book In Search of Christian Freedom. The scales fell from my eyed about what scriptures really mean on the blood issue and many many others.

• JAVA
    JAVA

I assume that ex-JWs on this forum have already read CoC, and get taken back when I see threads like this. I ordered the book when it first came out after reading about Raymond Franz and his book in one of the US weekly news magazines. That was over 20 years ago, before the Internet and support groups like this. He did much of the writing for the Tower when he was on the GB, and that writing style is reflected in CoC (some like that style, and some don't). The book is sincere, factual, and written by a person that worked at the very top level of the Society. Beyond question, it's a must read!

I wrote to Raymond a few weeks after reading CoC, and received a hand-typed letter and copies of items he thought I might enjoy reading. We wrote back and forth several times, and he invited me to his home. I still have those kind letters. He is a person of faith, and I am not, but I have the up most respect for him and what he's done. CoC is the Holy Grail of information about what went on behind closed doors of the Tower's Most Holy.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I am around half way through this book as we speak and I am constantly blown away by its honesty and its lack of bitterness; the mexico and malawi issue was a new for me and its been an eye opener since the very beginning.

Looking forward to the rest of it...

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit