Are JWs a cult? Well, just ask them ...

by ljwtiamb 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Miss_MG
    Miss_MG

any organizion that has the total control over the people that they do even their very private lives would be classed as a cult

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

The WTS must have its own dictionary. I was always told to say (at the doors) when this was brought up...that a cult always has a leader who teaches his own ideas etc. Then they'd back it up by saying we only have Christ as our leader.

But;

Main Entry: cult
    Pronunciation: 'k&lt
    Function: noun
    Usage: often attributive
    Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate ?more at WHEEL
    Date: 1617
    1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

The dictionary doesn't come close to saying what the WTS spouts as fact!

Annie

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Yes

• Miss_MG
    Miss_MG

I remmber one of the last book studies I went to the study conductor said to the group if you know of any wrong doing and we get to know that you were aware of it look out we will be after you too. I thought back to nazi germany that is how it would have been at that time controlled by fear you had to turn your own parents in yes it is definitely a cult

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Ah.........yes...

Snoozy...

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Again....Yes.... I like to repeat myself...

• Rod P
    Rod P

Cults are controlling. The WBTS/GB is one of the most controlling bodies on the planet, and it's done in the name of God (Jehovah). So YES, they are definitely a Cult.

Rod P.

• curlygirl
    curlygirl

When disasters strike, they are quick to respond with relief supplies and other humanitarian assistance.

Hmmmmm interesting. I think that we all know that when the tsunami struck indonesia, those oh so wonderful people were conspicuously absent from the relief effort.

cg

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I haven't read all of these posts, toomany of them, but I get the jest. As far as the title is concerned, " Are Jw's a Cults? Just ask them" its very foolish to say that, its like asking a Used Car Salesman if he is honest, "OF Course !" he will say, what someone has to do to is to ask someone else who has had dealings with the Used Car Salesman. And you may find that some are happy with the Car they bought from him but if you find that many aren't happy with the Car and they paid high prices and got no after-sales service then you know he is a crook,.... just like the WTS.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Welcome Lone Ranger - and well put.

I have problems with this whole ''cult'' thing. I suppose as a young JW, OTHER religions were always singled out as being cults, whereas the Society worshipped Jehovah, and no man. It was Jehovah's Word, and not the teaching of any man.

By this token, would Catholicism be classed as a cult, as the Pope enforces some rules?

A tad confused. Midwich.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit