Do you miss feeling that "Jehovah" was listening to prayers?

by LyinEyes 57 Replies latest jw friends

• bem
    bem
    When I was young , I was so scared to forget to say............" in Jesus name" , for fear of being disrespectful if I accidently fell asleep , which happened alot.

I've thought several times since being away fom the wts influence how shame based it really is! It is still having residual effects on me as far as feeling guilty about things. I work on it a lot to overcome guilt feelings.

~ Dorothy

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

He never won me the lotto, didn't make me 6 feet tall and didn't make me the best footballer in school so I gave up. Serioulsy though things happned to me that no one else saw and he never acted so why bother.

I talk to my wee dog and he listens to me.

Hope you find what you are looking for

BM

• Zapper_1
    Zapper_1

This is not intended to be judgemental, just a sincere inquiry, but I've often wondered why former JWs hold to the idea that God resides with the Watchtower. As a believer in God, who has NEVER been a JW, I am quite confident that he does not live in a watchtower. In fact, I don't think he has ever even been near one.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

David and Wife,,,,,,,,,thanks for your kind words , it is nice to have ones like yourself you seem to have found such peace, and thanks for thinking of me.

Brutus,,,,,,you just may have something there, with your "wee little dog",,,looking into the eyes of a beloved pet is such a powerful thing. At least we know the dog hears us, ( may not totally understand ,,lol) , the dog loves us without doubt and is loyal. What kind of dog do you have,,,,,,I am thinking of a weiner dog when you said that. I used to have one, such sweet eyes.

Zapper, I too am quiet sure that God does not reside within the Watchtower, if he did he would be cleaning house I would think.

• Catren
    Catren

I have generally always had a difficult time with praying, but sometimes I think I can 'feel' a prayer in my heart. If I pray using words, I pray to "our Father in Heaven". That's what I feel most comfortable with. Like others I feel spirituality mostly when I am outdoors. Nature is a true reflection of God, I think. One time when I went outside I had this most wonderful feeling come over me, like the influence of heaven was shining on nature! It was a beautiful moment. I think God's reflection is in all living things, that all living things are sacred. I can't recall ever feeling true spirituality in a Kingdom Hall. Just a religion. Religion that was sometimes pretty dry.

• Most Noble
    Most Noble

bump

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

I think if God is there, then HE/SHE is what gives us peace of mind when praying.

If there is no God, then praying is still beneficial because it is like writing everything down in a journal, unburdening yourself. I have decided to start trying to pray again, I am desperate for there to be a God who is listening to me and everyone else, and that there is a reason for all the crap in the world.

Yes i definitely miss feeling like "jehovah" was listening to my prayers. Now im like those people in the bible with the alter to an unknown god. must work out how on earth Im going to pray now?? must read the gospel accounts again, the OT does NOT make me want to talk to "Him"

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

For me, I always felt weird praying because I NEVER felt like anyone was listening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit