Do you miss feeling that "Jehovah" was listening to prayers?

by LyinEyes 57 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Thanks Kate for the well wishes for my neice, we are still waiting on test results, but I feel things are going to be ok with her. You are right, sometimes just putting your thoughts in true sentence form , weither you are saying them outloud in Prayer, or to the wind, or writing in a journal it does just help to put things into perspective.

Hugs to you and Craig,, what is that picture in your avatar?? Is it the bottom of a cup?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Yer welcome Dede!

At least you can be assured that your niece is getting the care and test she needs to get to the cause of her seizures. It should be treatable and she will be fine.

Hugs to you and Craig,, what is that picture in your avatar?? Is it the bottom of a cup?

Awe thanks I'll pass the hug on to Craig, he'll love that you said that.

The picture is a cyclist carved out of fruit, I think a watermelon. Someone did a post a while back with these awesome carvings from fruit and I liked the cyclist one so I changed my avatar.

Kate

• bem
    bem

((((Dede)))) Hi sugar, Thanks for this thread it has hit home for me in so many ways. And I respect & appreciate the folks that have responded to it, You pulled the cream of the crop out, Thanks. The connection with the earth great outdoors has been most helpful to me.

I think I need to spend more time out in nature just letting what may come to me , come. I figure it can't hurt, it might actually make me feel .. something

It makes for the best quit time there is, in my opinion. I'm starting to feel like at times it's kinda like roots of my very being are reaching into the earth for energy. So it revitalizes me.

Morph Dorothy

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I never realized it before but after reading some of these posts ...I had a "Revelation"..

We were so brainwashed that God's name is "Jehovah" and if we didn't direct our prayers toward him "Through Jesus" he wouldn't hear us..

I realized I have felt guilty in the past for NOT using his name. I really wondered about that but realized it is because we were so programed.

I didn't become a JW until I was 21 and this post got me to thinking how hard it must be for those that are raised in the religion. It has to be like a way of life for them.To leave and reject all that was taught to them..many by their parents..I wonder if I could have done it. The feelings that the religion is the only way must be so deeply ingrained inside them..they would have to be on a constant guilt trip!!!

I try to remember back before I was a JW..and I prayed just fine to plain old "God". It felt natural then. So it should now..right?

Anyway..I never pray for certain things to happen...just the strength to endure them and the intelligence to work through the problem...I guess that's an old JW teaching too.

I do also give thanks when things go well!

What's funny about all this is..I don't really know if I believe in a God or not..

Snoozy...Lady of little faith..but I still feel better when I pray...

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

It's pretty much been said already, but here is my simple response:

It doesn't matter.

The reason I say that is because you're searching for your spirituality, and if it's yours it's not going to be out there, it's right here where you are. So while you can do any of the number of things people suggest and it may be helpful, I would have to say it doesn't really matter because it's yours, your expression - whether you do something that other people happens to do is really incidental and relatively superficial. Your spirituality doesn't have to depend on doing anything. Doesn't mean you become a couch potato, but it just doesn't depend on it

In other words, you can't do this wrong. You can only not do it by following others and by following ideas instead of following your own instincts. And be aware that it may not take shape, any shape the mind can recognize as making sense, in the near future. All this means though is to stop the bottleneck of the judgemental mind in your interaction and experience with life, and dive right in. The mind may feel a bit insecure at first, but soon you'll find you're too busy living. Not just doing stuff in life, but really living.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

yes, I do miss having someone to pray to that I can believe in, someone who I believe will hear me, who I can talk to about anything.

I did experience answers to many of my prayers. I know the scientific explanation, but I do miss that feeling of belief, that you were never alone.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Dede,

Hope your niece is OK.

One of my pet topics too (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/63990/1.ashx).

Prayer just happens.
    Often starts as a scream: my god! -- forget about the caps.
    Crying out. To nobody. As ever.
    And-or softly talking ourselves into silence.
    Sometimes into plain sleep, like an unconsoled child.
    Sometimes into a very corporeal, sensitive, vibrating, awareness of being / life / presence / it.

• blondie
    blondie

From my earliest memories what bothered me most was the message I got from the platform that God was not listening to anyone's prayers but JWs. That somehow until people became JWs that their prayers were futile. So I never felt that way and always blocked my mind from receiving those thoughts from the platform. I could never understand how they could give experiences of people who said they were praying to God to help them and then a JW stopped by. How was that possible when they also taught God did not hear the prayers of non-JWs?

So I'm happy to be away from an organization that decides for God whose prayers he will listen to.

Blondie

• defd
    defd

lyineyes it is very wise and proper to feel that way about Jehovah God. He is the one and only True God and there is no other God but Him. Continue to pray to Him. Ask for the strength and wisdom to recover and to come back.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    lyineyes it is very wise and proper to feel that way about Jehovah God. He is the one and only True God and there is no other God but Him. Continue to pray to Him. Ask for the strength and wisdom to recover and to come back.

Actually if the above is true, she should pray thanking him for the strength to leave in the first place. It's much easier to keep the blinders on. Keep on believing, defd...you're right where you belong, where it's nice and safe and you can put responsibility for your life on others hands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit