How Do YOU Feel Knowing That YOU Were In A Cult?

by minimus 57 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

JWs are conditioned to believe that their definition of "cult" is the only right one. Since there's no single charismatic leader around, they try to get around who they really are.

• undercover
    undercover
    How Do YOU Feel Knowing That YOU Were In A Cult?

Embarrassed I guess would be the first response.

As a JW I used to question anyone and everyone who was in another religion as if they couldn't see that they were being duped while all along I was being more duped than any of them were.

I considered myself fairly smart, or at least smart enough to not be taken in by charlatans. I was very wary about everything, cautious that it might be trying to entrap me into something wrong while all along I was already trapped and being taken more advantage of than the things I worked so hard to avoid would have done.

Anger is another emotion. Fortunately it is subsiding as time passes. I wasn't angry at anyone person or group, just angry in general that I wasted so much of my life, angry at myself for being so stupid as to not see through it earlier.

But it gets better with time and I think it's true what the old saying says, "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger"

• minimus
    minimus

Undercover, you must be a cockroach, then.

• undercover
    undercover
    Undercover, you must be a cockroach, then.

They'll be here long after our puny species is gone

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I feel sick from it, and wistfully regretfull maybe a bit. But I value the experience of it and what it taught me, even though I am still trying to recover and heal from it and how I reacted to it. The lesson of mind control, IMO is very valuable. It is a lesson I try and help others be aware of without having to forego the entire experience.

All I really know is that on occasion I get Spiritual Acid Reflux. And Irritable Bowel.

• Charisma
    Charisma

It isn't something I am proud of. But we were brainwashed, so what can we say or do to change it? nothing

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Sometimes I feel a little embarassed because I used to believe ( JW days) that brainwashed people were weak minded and not very intelligent to begin with. But, then again,,,,,,, I was smart enough to realize that I was one of the very ones ( brainwashed) that I thought I could never be and I walked away from it.

• barry
    barry

Lyin eyes Ive heard it said very smart people are much easier to be brain washed than us ordinary people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit