How Do YOU Feel Knowing That YOU Were In A Cult?

by minimus 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Golf
  • Golf
    Golf

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Golf

• Mulan
    Mulan

I feel pretty embarrassed and really stupid.

But I was raised in it, so maybe it isn't entirely my fault.

• luna2
    luna2

I feel foolish for believing in the dream and accepting the nightmare that accompanied it.

I feel stupid for not doing some outside research and believing everything that was spoon-fed me because I liked the sister who studied with me so much.

I feel embarrassed for promoting this stuff for almost 20 years, for things I said to my non-JW friends and family, for thinking that I had THE TRUTH and they didnt.

I feel guilty for what I put my children through, especially my oldest who was a people pleaser (like I am) and wouldn't fight for what he wanted.

I feel afraid of getting too close to anyone or anything because I no longer trust my instincts.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, some great expressions in this thread. i pretty much feel the same way. embarrassed and stupid. i hate thought that i have been had. but at least i had enough chutzpah to get out. being essentially born in to a cult is pretty bad. but even with regards to those who came into the cult at a low point in their lives, there was so much working against them. and i mean going from one myth religion to another myth cult is pretty easy mentally too.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I feel pretty embarrassed and really stupid.

But I was raised in it, so maybe it isn't entirely my fault. I agree with you Mulan,im fairly certain i would never have fallen for it all if i was contacted as an Adult via Door to Door work!

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

a thought came to mind... no matter how bad JWs and other cults are, many of them allow you to leave.

my God-daughters BF is a Blood... he cannot ever "leave" without the possibility of one day being hunted down and murdered.

• avishai
    avishai

I woke up this morning prety pissed off about it.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Min: I agree with you, ... the word "cult" is a harsh word and I never liked it. Restrictive, .. true.

Terry: You wrote how I feel 100% ... I am a much better personallity now, and I feel like me.

I am finally living, and I hope you are too.

• Preston
    Preston

Devastated...

until I found out that my company did the same things ...then I felt better

- Preston

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit