What are some of the "Get rich quick businesses" the witnesses tried?

by mjarka911 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

Amway, Shaklee, Cutco.

AlanF

• phil78
    phil78

We had a brother buy a franchise for Front door peep-holes. He enlisted the 3 local pioneers to sell them for a small hourly wage + small commission. The pioneers were walking around industrial estates trying to sell to factory workers who were outside smoking during their lunch break. It got sticky when the sisters were assigned to go back through there witnessing. The PO had a word to the brother and the whole thing got closed down.

The same brother tried to sell painted house numbers. (A painted on black square, a stencil of your house number in white, and sprinkled with glass beads to make em reflect cars headlights, painted on the curb next to your driveway.) He would go through the streets door-knocking and getting orders, then he had 2 out-of-work brothers doing the painting. That didn't take off eather.

PHIL.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Don't for get the stainless steel cook ware, Rena Ware, to avoid aluminum poisoning! Two brothers went door to door selling all summer, never made enough to live on....

carmel

• upside/down
    upside/down

Brokering electronic components...

LCI...ACN..

Rug Doctor Franchises...

Colors on Parade...

Melaleuca...

Day trading...

Home Mortgages...

Some wireless TV /computer MLM...?

Level3 Stock (haaahaaahaaa)

Working for one of the assholes who happened to actually pull off one of the above!

u/d

• luna2
    luna2

You are right, tsunami, lots of people other than JW's try these things. I guess what is bothersome to me about it is that JW's are taught to stay separate from the greedy world. While I think that many JW's start out with nothing but good intentions because they are looking for a way to support themselves that will allow them more time for the field ministry, their success often hinges on taking advantage of their spiritual brothers and sisters. Not exactly a loving way to behave.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I am familiar with all the things mentioned in your posts.

These things got to be so out of hand in the 1980s that it was forbidden to mention them in the hall which I totally understood. They also forbade the use of the bulletin board for any such business.

The worst thing though that I heard about was "brothers" getting into the financial advisor business and losing, mishandling (or worse) other people's money.

I heard of at least three horrible experiences about this.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    cmon..witnesses arent the only ones that fall for this.

True, but then again, non-witnesses don't have an unwritten rule to patronize only businesses of local church members.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

A member in Martin TN tried to get me to come in on the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

He had bought the franchise/machinery for a method of customizing auto tires. This thing would re-cut whitewall stripes.

It was stupid... This machine was a grinder of sorts that you could screw up tires with big time... As I remember, it took a lot of "feel" and the device didnt have a lot of precision buit into it...and it was a pain to set up.

This guy was CONVINCED there was a mint to be made with this deal. I respectfully declined and told him I'd just as soon "work" for a living. I never saw a modified tire on any car in the area... he went bust in a few moths.

I did Trim Line for a while... actually that was a good deal...made a fair living at it. Some of the guys built some nice accounts and did well.... Hard work usually prevails.

Rug Doctor was a pretty good business too. An old freind re-sold his franchise and did well...Again it wasnt 'get -rich-quick"... he had a lot of sweat invested building his business.

~Hill

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

designer perfume imitations

kirby cleaners

• Mary
    Mary

And let's not forget the grandaddy of all "get rich quick businesses" by Dubs: Miracle Wheat by Charles Russell........not sure exactly what was supposed to make it "miracle-like" though...........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit