What are some of the "Get rich quick businesses" the witnesses tried?

by mjarka911 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Buster
    Buster

They were always pushing Amway at my mother.

I got the Shaklee pitch, complete with the 'I thought you were smarter than that' when I declined. (I believe they call that the 'Hail Mary' in the sales biz.)

My brother-in-law and a few friends went into TrimLine.

But the most interesting part for me was when I went to some other vitamin scheme meeting, at the request of another relative. It was freakin' eerie. From the instant I got out of the car, to the time time I left, it felt exactly like a Thursday night at the hall!

• the same glazed-over happy faces
    • the same type of isolated examples set forth as proof
    • the same approach to 'how do I overcome this objection' training, complete with short demonstrations
    • the same post-meeting encouragement (love bomb) for the new ones
    • for cryin' out loud, the same exact chairs as my hall

I couldn't wait to get out. I never discusssed it again with that relative.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Ok- there is a kid who I absolutely HATE and his dad owns a "Colors on Parade" franchise. Don't forget all the JW sanctioned body shopped owned by, worked in by, and paid for by: Dubs.

And there are two brothers in my cong who started this company... And it has taken off quite well:

http://pdsoftec.com/

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

In the Ormond Beach, Fla. Cong. that I grew up in, a Brother started a potato chip business called "Real Chips". This was in the early 80's when health food started becoming popular. The chips were made with all natural oils, and the business did quite well for awhile. Some of the other Brothers and Sisters bought into the business. It eventually went under, I don't remember the reasons why though.

• Honesty
    Honesty

The Greatest 'Get Rich Quick' Scheme of them all....

The WITCH TOWER BABBLE and TRICK SOCIETY

• eljefe
    eljefe

Gold, silver and precious metals scams
    Coin scam

There was brother that I knew growing up that had a new scam every week. We would go out in service with him and he would tell us about his latest scam.

BTW, Qwest (the long distance telephone company) was a "get rich quick scheme". My family was heavily into it. Qwest decided to become a real company and dumped all chumps who sold their service early on.

• Mac
    Mac

Some suggested reading for the misinformed...

"Rich Dad, Poor Dad'

" The Cashflow Quadrant"

mac

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember all the pioneers going hog wild over the Stoops catalog!

• Mac
    Mac

Sounds like a rapper..

Stoop Hoggy Hog

mac

• lilbit
    lilbit
    Mighty Auto Parts

I remember a bunch of brothers in NH doing that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit