Did Jesus tell a fib?

by gumby 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

If I remember correctly, many christians have been tortured and killed through the centuries. Their enemies killed them. None of them that I know of ever had power over rattlesnakes or scorpions to the extent these critters never bit them.........so.......did Jesus lie that they would be immune to deadly critters, and that they wouldn't ever be harmed,.....or did god ALLOW a spurious scripture in his spirit directed holy word that could have caused the death of many if they trusted this scripture?

Luke 10:19 .... "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

Gumby

• myelaine
    myelaine

Gumby,

People can be the offspring of vipers. People can give the sting of a scorpion. God has given people the power, through Jesus Christ, to fend off such ones.

michelle

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Eph. 6:12

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Which begs the question: If you Michelle, and Gumby, had the power to "give people the power...to fend off such ones". Would you do so for all equally? Would you showing unconditional love and compassion for all? Or would you throw in some restrictions?

I'm totally serious here.

j

• myelaine
    myelaine

JT,

I would give to each equally, IF they were to take it. But you can't get it at Walmart, you have to go to the source first. That, I suppose, is the only real restriction that God places on the intended receiver.

michelle

• gumby
    gumby

James....if I had the power and I wrote that scripture....I woulda put the restrictions alonside with the scripture saying something like....."but if you say you love me but prove otherwise by your actions.....I'll let the little critters bite ya and I ain't gonna protect you because I'll feel your taking advantage of my love for you." He said this, yet his closest followers were harmed or killed.

Jesus never put the restrictions in there......he just said stuff like "anything you ask in my name...I will do". And " nothing shall by any means hurt you."

Myelaine.....you never answered my question. WHY do christians suffer when Jesus said nothing would harm them? Your post made no sense. You said PEOPLE were the vipers and enemies in that scripture......and it's PEOPLE who have hurt and killed christians..........so did Jesus lie or not and if he didn't.....please explain why his words contradict the facts.

Gumby

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Michelle, thanks for your answer.

I'm just asking what your heart tells you that you would do if you could. Would you give to everyone for free, unconditionally, make it so everyone had the power immediately? Or, would you require they come get it and pay homage to you in your home first?

j

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Who is the enemy and serpent, if not the devil?

If one spiritualises it, then you could take it that the demonic hosts will not prevail against his followers.

I think it's clear that there's no physical reality to that promise.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

isn't this one of the bible versus that snake handling evangelical whacko's use for their snake handling?

• Terry
    Terry

If the Bible contained information it would state clearly subject and object. But, it contains nothing. Consequently, nothing is about what it "says".

That is why it has lasted so long; you can't prove a negative, but, you can assert positives endlessly.

T.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

EF:
    AYe. And you describe them well.

Terry:So you apparently have the Judeo-Christian basis summed up; what would be the reason for some of the other main world religions surviving?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit