Banned Food

by Nosferatu 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

This was influenced by the Toy thread, but what were some of the foods, drinks and candy that were banned by the JWs (either in writing or hearsay)?

Some that I can think of are:

Black Forrest Ham (coating is made from blood)
    Red Skittles (blood used to make the dye)
    Lucky Charms Cereal
    Frankenberry Cereal
    Boo Berry Cereal
    Count Chocula Cereal

I remember giving my mother shit once for using Magic Baking Powder.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Red Skittles (blood used to make the dye)

Whaaat!!?? Not really tho right, just in dub lore?

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Certain makes of hot dogs.

Pizza Hut pizza, due to apparently blood byproducts in the meat.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Pizza Hut pizza, due to apparently blood byproducts in the meat.

I recall going to Pizza Hut once with my mother and her friend, who asked if there was any by products in the meat. Apparently, there wasn't any. I'm surprised the JWs will go on the word of a worldly person.

That reminds me, one of the first things to go out the window for me was checking the ingredients in meat at the grocery store.

As for the Skittles, I doubt they actually use blood to make the dye. Just another stupid JW rumor.

• upside/down
    upside/down

What a bunch of dumb asses!

u/d

• JAVA
    JAVA
    I remember giving my mother shit once for using Magic Baking Powder.

That's too funny. If Lucky Charms Cereal is a no no, I wonder if some refuse to buy Quaker Oats?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Initially, when the blood doctrine first became law, there was a rumor going around that many types of candy contained lecithin derived from blood. Lecithin derived from plants is present in most types of candy, but the JWs were going nuts reading candy labels and stoutly refusing to eat any candy containing lecithin for fear that it might be made from blood.

Connected to this, although it wasn't a people food, was the counsel from the Society to avoid any pet food that had any sort of blood meal, and fertilizer with blood meal was not to be used by JWs. This one always seemed rather strange to me, even as a JW, since the Bible said to pour out the blood on the ground, and that's how fertilizer was used. Go figure. I also used to wonder how we were supposed to prevent our pets from eating any bugs or small creatures containing blood. They certainly didn't carry tiny, little knives with them to properly bleed the mice before eating them.

• lucky
    lucky

Yeah, I remember my mom insisting that we check the ingredients in the cat food, but not having a very good explanation when I asked what we were supposed to do about our cat eating whole mice. Something about BUYING the food making us bloodguilty, even though the cat is the one eating it.

• Scully
    Scully

There were several years in the 70s when we weren't allowed to have Dairy Queen ice cream. The JW rumor was that one of the preservatives (lecithin) was from blood. It took several years before it was clarified and it was learned that the lecithin was from vegetable source not a blood by product.

• I AM 4 JAH
    I AM 4 JAH

how about fish?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit