Banned Food

by Nosferatu 33 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Whoa! Wrong room. I thought this was going to be a diet thread...

*backs slowly out of room hoping no one notices*

Actually, I don't remember any foods being banned except for blood sausage and black pudding. There were guidelines for making sure everything was bled properly, and there were a few nutcases that went around telling people that they could not eat the fat on cooked meat. Other than that, I don't remember much of the wackiness as expressed in other posts here.

Must have been regional or something...

J

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Just remembered one having returned from eating out with the wife.....

FORTUNE COOKIES!!!!

My wife opened hers after supper, and her fortune said "You enjoy eating chinese food." WTF kind of fortune is that? I guess that was a dub fortune cookie.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

One JW told me it was bad to use fertilizer in the garden, because some fertilizers contained blood products. You wouldn't want any of that to be absorbed into your tomatos, would you?

Walter

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

interesting Leolaia...I was just about to post that my mom gave us kids black forest ham all the time when I was growing up...then a few years ago she said she wouldn't eat it anymore because the black ridges are actually blood. I just looked up a couple of web pages with info. on it and they both said that it is often dipped in beef blood. Guess mom was right about that one even if I did think she was out to lunch at the time she told me. har! Oh well...beef blood and I are friends...I just had a lovely, rarish steak on the bbq....and I had a whole wheat pita and black forest ham sandwich for lunch. I'm definitely doomed at H'Arma. ;)

• hubert
    hubert

Then, I guess "Devil Dogs, Deviled ham, and devils food cakes were off limits, too?

Hubert

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hmmmm.....never heard of the Black Forest ham being a no-no before! JW folks from here wouldn't buy Wonder bread because of blood products supposedly added to "make strong teeth and bones" that they advertised.

Funny, the Nestle's chocolate was mentioned.......up here it was Hershey's chocolate that got the bad rap.....the Nestle factory was in the next town over and half of the congregation worked there. It was practically sacrilege to buy anything from Hershey's anyway!

Pilgrim Brand hot dogs were forbidden--oh, and Armour's too.

• lawrence
    lawrence

In the late 60's and 70's the craze was about Marsala wine and blood. The flits would avoid veal Marsala and proudly told others that all Marsalas have blood - instead of the veal, they stabbed other brothers and sisters.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    FORTUNE COOKIES!!!!

My parents wouldn't let us eat fortune cookies because the demonized by spiritism, UNTIL... a visit with the circuit overseer. CO and his wife stayed with us and my parents took us all out for chinese. End of the meal, the cookies are served. FIRST one to grab one was the CO, "Oh Good!! I just love these!!"

After that, we were allowed to have those demonized treats.

But not the Devil Dogs.

Deviled Eggs were OK as long as we called them 'stuffed eggs'

-Aude.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Ha Aude_Sapere: " FIRST one to grab one was the CO, "Oh Good!! I just love these!!"

But did the CO add 'in bed' to the end of the fortune? *hee hee* You know, you will have much conflict today...in bed!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

There *is* a food colorant very commonly used in foods called "carmine." It is actually the smashed up bodies of insects that prey on cacti. It's bright red. I wonder if this had something to do with the Witnesses thinking things with red were from blood?

From Snopes:

Origins: Next

time you're browsing the supermarket in search of the makings of that night's dinner, pause a moment to read the ingredients Color bug labels of your favorite red-colored ingestibles and cosmetics. Chances are, you'll discover a notation for cochineal, carmine, or carminic acid, pigments whose origins might surprise and possibly disgust you.

Cochineal and its close cousin carmine (also known as carminic acid) are derived from the crushed carcasses of a particular South and Central American beetle. These popular colorants, which today are used to impart a deep red shade to fruit juices, gelatins, candies, shampoos, and more, come from the female Dactylopius coccus, a beetle that inhabits a type of cactus known as Opuntia.

Dactylopius coccus was the source of a red dye used by Aztecs and Mexican Indians for centuries before the arrival of the Spaniards. Those indigenous peoples would collect cochineal insects, briefly immerse them in hot water to kill the beasties and dissolve the females' waxy coating, and then dry them in the sun. The dessicated insects would then be ground to a fine powder.

The Spaniards immediately grasped the potential of the pigment, so these dried insects became one of the first products to be exported from the New World to the Old. Europeans took to the beautiful, bright scarlet colour immediately both for its vibrant hue and for its extraordinary colorfast properties, ensuring that boatloads of cochineal insects would make the trans-Atlantic trek.

Today cochineal has been surpassed as a dye for cloth by a number of synthetic pigments, but is still widely used as a coloring agent for a number of foodstuffs, beverages, and cosmetics (because many of those synthetic dyes proved dangerous to humans when taken internally or allowed to leach into the body through the skin). It takes about 70,000 insects to make one pound of cochineal.

While cochineal is used in a wide variety of foods, it is not found in kosher products because Jewish dietary laws prohibit the inclusion of insects or their parts in food. The "ewww!" factor nothwithstanding, cochineal is a safe food colorant aside from a few rare cases of allergic reaction.

Another red dye used in foods, FD&C Red Dye #40 (alternatively known as Red #40), is often mistakenly assumed to be a euphemism for cochineal or carmine. It's not ? it's bug-free and is actually derived from coal.

Our distaste at the thought of ingesting bugs is based on cultural factors rather than the properties or flavors of the insects themselves. Western society eschews (rather than chews) bugs, hence the widespread "Ewww!" reaction to the news that some of our favorite foods contain extract of beetle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit