Banned Food

by Nosferatu 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Oh boy,

I had Lucky Charms, Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Frankin Berry etc, we had hot cross buns at Easter, and my mom certainly never checked the labels on the cat food/dog food, and Black Forest Ham was her absolute favourite meat for sandwiches! We couldn't drive by a Dairy Queen with my grandma with out stopping for a cone.

Reading here has helped me appreciate that I really didn't have things too bad while in the "borg", and makes me appreciate my mom all the more. I think I'm going to get her some flowers and a card and drop by to see her on Sunday.

BB

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

In the 80's...probably anything with a Smurf promoting it. In Puerto Rico they sell 'Malta' which is a malt soft-drink. It was banned because they claimed it had Globulin in it (protein in the blood). There's also this thing that roughly translated it's a blood sussage. It's made using the pig intestine as the sussage 'skin' and it was filled with cooked pig blood and white rice.... personally I found that one disgusting and I will never eat it even now that I left the borg.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Lecithin was always a concern among the JWs. They were always concerned that prepared foods that contained lecithin were using lecithin extracted from blood. After all, blood does contain lecithin. I worried too. Until I was told by someone who was familiar with food processing that extracting lecithin from blood to put into prepared foods would be about as practical as extracting iron from blood to build a fire escape.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

In my area there was also a thing among the JWs for a while (in the 70's as I recall) about McDonald's Hamburgers allegedly containing blood, so many JWs avoided the Golden Arches for a few years.

This was about the same time I first remember hearing rumors from non-JWs (and JWs as well) about McDonald's hamburgers being made from kangaroo meat.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Funny thing too, that went around in the 60 and 70's about Nestle Chocolate milk mix and good old fastioned Peanut butter.

In the 70s in Montreal people wouldn't eat Hygrade Wieners as everyone said that they had by products which to them meant blood. People were in a frenzie over this as hotdogs are a real staple food of Quebecers. any way I wrote a letter to the company that made these wieners, because I was so sick and tired of everyone saying we can't have them because of theblood. So the Hygrade company sent me a letter stating that in no way shape or form is there blood in any of their products. So I showed the letter to the congregation overseer and he read it from the platform and thus ended the saga of blood in hot dogs.

Also some refused to eat Pogo corn dogs for the same reason. Again there was no blood in them either. I use to laugh about the fanatical witnesses who were so narrow-minded. Had I left the organziation back then when witnesses were really studip about dumb issues like these I would have been free a way back then instead of waitning until 1999 and thirty eight years in bondage to a slave class. I mean literally a slave class too.

Orangefatcat.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Funny that these morons would accept as gospel one wacko's explanation of something....Oh wait... I guess they need 10 old wacko's to do that.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

i had a friend who ate a tick when she was like 2 ...her mom asked the elders if she should pray to jehovah about it....d

dear lord...gimme a break.

luv, kitty

• Poztate
    Poztate
    how about fish?

They went nutty about fish in the late 1960's as far as I remember insisting all fish should be bled properly.That would let out ALL commercial fisheries since the fish were netted and smothered to death.A lot of the blood gathers along the backbone but if you look closely at the veins blood is still there.I believe they have dropped this idea since then although my relatives still cut the throats of all fish they catch. They also went buggy about that time with a claim that some flours were fortified with blood and to be wary of specialty breads.I recall this being in a watching the world article in the late 1960's or early 70's.?? I also recall the paranoia with the McDonalds hamburgers and other chains.They could not be sure the meat was bled properly so they would not eat them.The same thing happened with other fast food services.It was a time of CONTROL and no one thought to question "The Slave"

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

LOL This stuff reminds me of how the WBTS used to teach that vaccinations were a big no-no because it supposedly contained blood. They taught that one for years before someone actually did research on it and found out it was not true.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It was traditionally coated with beef blood which gave it a black exterior surface however, today the blackened exterior is most often the result of the spices applied to the outer surface and the smoking process during curing.

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=33925&catitemid=

So it looks like Hormel BFH doesn't have blood...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit