Do you think the world will end soon. If so, when?

by Rod P 74 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, golf. To answer your questions:

we need to be a positive influence for good.

I totally agree. I do my part every day. See my rant, below, which pretty well expresses how I feel about making a difference.

Evil surrounds us, what are people doing to make a better society?

I don't think evil surrounds us. Most people are trying to make a better life for themselves, just like us. I loved Blondie's example of walking through the park and asking yourself, who is picking up the doggie doo? Our local mental ward (which I familiarized myself with lately) has bingo every other night. My son tried to explain to me how enjoyable it was to pick out his own prize. Who runs that bingo? A volunteer. There are all kinds of people making all kinds of small differences all around us. Only thing, they don't make the headlines.

Are they going with the crowd or are they involved with groups who desire a better world?

Thanks to the WTS, I am a bit of an individualist. I don't think that any group will make a better world. I think it will happen with sparks of personal involvement. This little rant touched Utopian Reformist before his recent tragedy, and he sent a note of encouragement. He may have since temporarily lost his hope, but in his heart beats a survivor. I am glad JWD was able to help him stand up when he fell. There. See? Little changes. I believe in them.

Rant of the Militant Happyist

I avoid newspapers and search out eyes. I bumble my way on to hoarded subway seats. My plump bottom overspills it's share of seat, as I breathe warm and fuzzy greetings in to my startled neighbour?s face. I politely inquire on their book or the weather, whatever might grudge a smile. I boldly offer to shake a young man's hand. "I bet you go to the same High School as my boy - down this block, is it? Is Mister Grady still the Gym Teacher" Hiding behind a punk scrawl, I find the insecure boy yearning for a mother's care.

"I played flute in the school band, too," I comment to the slim dark boy clutching his scuffed case. We share a secret smile no one else sees.

I roam the transit with impunity, a forgettable motherly figure in a sea of humanity.

I have encountered the midnight hiding in the soul of man. That chilling blackness kills, and it nearly swallowed me. I ran, ran, ran from that vicious hatred. Now I fight, fight, fight to take back the darkness.

• doogie
    doogie

just read this thread...(yawn)

the world will end at the precise moment i do.

• Golf
    Golf

Jgnat, thanks for replying. In my community I volunteer for the Elders. I'm also in local politics and if you want to see self-serving greedy people, get into politics, this is top notch, it doesn't get any better.

Individual efforts are great, I applaud individuals for throwing in their two cents to make a better society, but we don't have enough of them. For instance, I see people throwing garbage out of their cars, empty their cigarette butts on people's drive-ways and parking lots. Tell me, what's so difficult to leave it in your car and when you get home or stop at a gas station empty your garbage in a garbage bin? Is that asking tooooooo much? About the doggie poo, why aren't the owners picking it up?

Evil doesn't surround us? Hmmmmmm, you must know your neighborhood pretty well. I need to read your newspapers that reports good news.

Groups that work for the betterment of a society are doing their part to have a better society. They don't talk about it, they do something about it.

What I have observed is that people get discouraged when others are not doing their part. I live in a community where some people want the best of two worlds without lifting a finger.

We don't have enough of little changes!!!!! Have a happy.

Golf

• Balsam
    Balsam

NO there is no end coming from the biblical God. Granted earthquakes, tsunami's will come, other various earthly belching could kill people. But no end that has anything at all to do with any thing people consider divine.

The bible is no a reliable source of information. Bible scholars, except the bible thumpers (thoses pushing the end times to make money on books) , admit the bible we have today was changed many times. The understanding of the ancient greek that was written without punctuation and was not always translated well into other other languages. The book are written by men who wished God would show up and punish the wicked back inthe days of the Roman rule. Those NT books were never intended for our day. It is foolish of us to try to say they are talking about God coming in our day. I didn't happen back then and hasn't since. Those who still believe that the bible is inspired by God, really need to do some reading on how we came to have what is called the bible today.

Realizing this was a wonderful relief and a chance to get rid of the stupid fears religious people have put upon me growing up. Had I known better sooner I could have adverted all those years wasted believing JW were in touch with God.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, golf, I know all about petty politics. I have spent my entire working life in the civil service. I notice that the lower the office, the higher the ridiculous quotient. The height of pomposity in my immediate circle is the parking coordinator of our local condo association.

I think what we see depends a great deal on what we are looking for. Evengelical Millenialists and Jehovah's Witnesses alike eagerly seek signs of decline. And find it. My JW hubby, for instance, is glued to the nightly news. I look for signs of spring. I see signs of renewal. They are there if you look for them.

Read my rant through. I am no stranger to evil. I just chose not to give it any air time.

• Rod P
    Rod P

jgant,

Some good thoughts there. In short, "Believing is Seeing!" (instead of the other way around)

Golf,

Sorry, I am not ignoring your question about what books I have read on the subject. The only one that looks familiar on your list is "None Dare Call it Conspiracy". I have not been reading books on this particular topic since the mid-1980's. Since that time, I have moved on to other topics, and in more recent times, have been doing extensive research in preparation for writing a book on Religion Around the World, in History and Present Day (not the title of the book, though, which I have reserved for the release date).

I remember a number of books were titled "Illuminati" and also a few books by Colin Wilson. I still have a number of books in boxes in deep storage, and I may have to go rummaging thru there and get back to you with a bunch of the titles/authors. Suffice it to say though, I have been around the block a few times in this whole area. Including the story on the origin of modern banking and the Rothchilds and the World Bank and the IMF, etc. Oh, and for what it is worth, I have a few books by David Icke, but have serious reservations about him, especially with his credibility and mental health.

Rod P.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Rod P,

The world will end for me as soon as I die, and so it will for everybody else. The end comes when we die.

Every generation has predicted the end of the world since the beginning fo mankind. It hasn't happened yet, and it never will.

DY

• lilbit
    lilbit

I dont believe the world will ever "come to an end". I do think that when Mother Nature get too sick of being mistreated the way she is that she will heal herself. Be that polar shifts. floods, whatever it takes. Yes it will wipe out many but life will continue and the world as we know it might be gone, humans will survive and hopefully will have learned to take better care of the earth.

• Golf
    Golf

Rod P, thanks for the laugh when you mentioned David Icke. He was in the Ottawa Canada area a few times and the authorities gave him a rough time. They tried to cancel his appearances. He may be off the wall but everyone has the right to their views.

I must agree that its an interesting topic. I wasn't disappointed when the world didn't end in 1975. Personally, it didn't make sense to me. Whether one believes in the scriptures or not, it say's, "...no man knows the day and hour," so why 'set' dates?

I'll be short because I have other pressing needs. The best.

Dan/Golf

• heathen
    heathen

I also remember the prophesies concerning the end and jesus said on a the day you think not the son of man is coming or that men will be eating and drinking and marriages will be happening or in the days the nations are saying peace and security that sudden destruction will be upon them . Now the nations have been claiming since the league of nations that they can bring peace and security to the world with their diplomacy but I don't think it will ever happen myself .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit