WHAT was the nicest compliment anybody ever paid you? What did they say?

by Terry 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Es
    Es

My ex husband had my 3 year old son for the weekend and was takin him to one of his friends. My ex's friends mentioned how clever,bright and well mannered my son was and it was a credit to me. I had another good compliment the other night but its a little rude :P es

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I have to say that my husband is really the best at giving me compliments. He tells me all the time how beautiful I look even when I just woke up and I didn't wash my face the night before, so I have eye makeup smudged all over my eyes. LOL (Yea...really sexy!) Or he'll tell me how sweet I am to him, when it's really him that's served me. The night we got engaged, he told me that being with me made him want to "be a better man". I guess I felt the depth of what he said because it's exactly how I feel about being with him.

I think sometimes compliments can actually encourage one to live up to that compliment. And I think the opposite is true too. I have a friend that nags at her husband like he's a three year old child. He's not the best husband because no matter what he does, she shoots him or his efforts down. So now he's to the point where he doesn't even try anymore. Who could blame him? And honestly, how hard is it to find a good thing about someone and tell them? It takes three seconds! And who knows what effect you could be making on them for their lives!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

a kinder man would be hard to find...said about me 3 weeks ago to someone who then told me...given the untrue spiteful slanderous disgusting things that have been said about me over the past 3 years then it sure was nice to hear...i hope to be that kinder (kinda) man again some time soon

tijkmo of the anti typical moses was the meekest man who walked the earth cos he said so himself class

• ballistic
    ballistic

I don't get many compliments, but recently my mate described me as the "ultimate success". I hadn't really viewed myself as a success before, but thinking about it, in ten years I have completely turned my life around.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    think sometimes compliments can actually encourage one to live up to that compliment. And I think the opposite is true too

i would like to second that

i remember hearing a story of a child who would not tidy his room..his parents kept telling him he was the untidiest boy in the world...so he said to them..well why are you surprised then that my room is untidy...so they changed it to something along the lines of...'this isnt you..you are usually so tidy and neat' and so he began to live up to that expectation

i know its a simplefied story and doesnt always work but i think of the times when youngsters in my kh were getting berated- again- for the smallest of misdemeanours..and i always tried to find something encouraging to say..in my book--no one ever gave up by being complimented

course none of them speak to me now...the irony etc

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

My stepmom telling me that I'm a good mother. I have my days when I don't feel that way. She's such a great mom, so it means a lot.

One day, I was having an "I feel ugly day". My boss was talking to me, and before leaving my desk said, "well, you look good today." Totally wasn't expecting it, but it felt good.

Friends telling me that I'm funny. It's nice to put a smile on someone's face, and watch them laughing their azz off on the floor!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I don't remember the nicest one, but I do remember one cos it brought me trouble:

A JW friend of my mother said: why is she (me) not a JW: she is such a nice person......

and stupid me was so flattered that I started studying....

• Chia
    Chia

LMAO @ Elsewhere! Let's see you prove it!

I typed a post and lost the whole thing. Boo hoo. But anyway, what I said was, that to me the nicest compliment was when a really good friend told me that she valued my advice and really felt she could confide in me. I consider myself a good friend, and it means a lot to me that my friends feel like I can be there for them when the chips are down. I want to be the "go-to" guy, the kind of person that you know is loyal and will be there come hell or high water.

• talesin
    talesin

It would be hard to pick an all-time best, but I got a really nice complement recently. After babysitting, I was given a thank you note, that ended like this,

And XXX & XX enjoyed having you as a "kid sitter" too!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I had two which will stay with me forever....one professionally and one personal.

The professional one involved me completing a case for a client who was arguing that he was an employee and not a self employed worker...the legalities are quite complex in the UK as to status; Well after 5 days on this single point alone and after I had given the court written submissions we managed to get the otherside to agree to a decent settlement figure. But I was (pleasantly) annoyed because I didnt know what or how the chairman (woman)/judge wouldve ordered had the case gone on.

A few weeks later I met the chairman (woman)/judge at a barristers conference and she was both courteous and friendly so I happened to ask how she might have decided had it gone on....she said my arguments were some of the best written arguments she has seen on the same subject for a long while and we had it in the bag from the start.....she also asked me to settle a bet for her and tell her how much it settled for....which I did...I know it sounds daft but I was pleased....walked on air for the rest of the evening...

The personal one was from an old friend who sent me a card saying....thanks for being the bestest mate I could hope for and for being there through the last few months....your a star....

It was nice to be appreciated on both fronts...

Might have to lose the nice guy image though LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit