WHAT was the nicest compliment anybody ever paid you? What did they say?

by Terry 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

When I was about 16 I had a terrible crush on an older lady (she might have been 30) who was the lovliest person ever. She had poise, confidence, intelligence, wit, appreciation and culture. I was just a skinny, shy, geeky kid that she took under her wing. She encouraged me to write. I wrote poetry for her. (gush)

I know she knew I was in love (read: infatuation) with her. But, she handled it so well; with such grace and aplom. One evening out of nowhere she looked me in the eyes and said something I'll never forget.

"Terry, you have the kind of face that will only grow more and more handsome as you age."

Nothing could have prepared me for that. I was floored. But, I'll tell you. When I look in the mirror now at age 58 and see the hideous beast from sceptic lagoon looking back at me; I always remember Carol Ann's words and I take heart. It fills me with a sense of self-acceptance. Surely Carol Ann could not have been wrong :)

What was the nicest compliment anybody ever paid you? What did they say?

Terry

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

A black girl a few years ago: Damn... not bad for a white guy!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I had two events that fit this topic. Both were very similar.

1. After we left the JW's, I renewed my relationship with my cousins that our family had almost eliminated from our family because they didn't become witnesses. My aunt, their mother, was dying and I was frequently at the hospital and my youngest cousin, Gary, about 12 years younger than I am, told me the only good thing about his mother's illness was getting to know me.

2. Back in 1996, I was called upon to act as hostess for a group of Malaysians who had come to Seattle for a convention (we are all part of the same International company). Their Business Development Manager told me the very best thing about the entire Seattle experience was meeting me. I was flattered beyond words. I really worked hard to make their visit here very special, and helped the Muslims find food they could eat, and accompanied them on their city tour. I went to the airport with them to see them off for home (you could go to the gate back then) and they presented me with a huge armload of red roses that seemed to appear miraculously.

I just remembered another time. I always felt like I wasn't particularly pretty. I knew I was okay, but thought I was pretty plain. One boyfriend I had when I was 16 told me he thought I looked like Kim Novak. (she was a very beautiful movie star in the 50's and 60's, for those of you who don't know) I was floored and he said "you don't know how pretty you are, do you?" That was neat.

Kim Novak (well..........I was a blonde)

• lilbit
    lilbit

MY husband came home after a looooooooooong day at work and imediately started ripping my clothes off. He told me that he couldnt get me out of his head all day.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

A guy at work said he could not imagine me a Jehovahs Witness!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

At a wedding 20 years ago, a sister I hadn't seen for a long time saw our daughter (14 at the time), and said "what a beautiful girl". Yes she still is.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I was the gen. mgr. for an IH motor truck service facility owned by the adj. general of the state national guard.

I moved and resigned my position.

Later I wanted to start up my own franchise and asked him for a recomendation. Doubted I would get one.

His letter had only two sentences. "It is my great pleasure to recommend **** ********.

He is capeable and will accomplish anything you ask of him". I will never forget that.

I still have that letter.

Another time was when I had been df'd and the marriage was dying. The lawyers fees etc. had drained me dry.

I went to this lady who owned a tax return business and she contacted the IRS and got things straightened out. I could not pay her.

About 6 months later I sent her a letter of thanks and paid her in full. A few days later I got a letter back and about all she said was " thank you. you are an honorable man" You will never know how much that little sentence meant to me, after all the bs from my ex and the elders.

Outoftheorg

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    A guy at work said he could not imagine me a Jehovahs Witness!!

Yeah, I got that once or twice. Made me smile.

Let's see, my friend Brad the Boy Theologian, whose shoes I am just about worthy to untie, once told me: "You're a good influence on people." Which is, you know, most of my life's ambition right there.

My magic teacher has twice complimented me as "smart," an "astute thinker."

The funniest true compliment came from a guy I used to go to church with. I was in my not-femme-at-all period and he later told me what he thought the day we met: "I like her a lot, but I think she's a lesbian!" No, seriously, I treasure that one, too.

g ently f eral

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

My gruff friend who was dying told me that he was sorry that he did not listen to me more because I had it all figured out. He told me I knew how to love and care and not get hardened and that that was something that most never figure out. He said "You know a person gets really smart before he dies." So with that said, I will take his word on it.

When I am low and about to give up on love and people I remember that and realize it is true. I can lock myself and my heart up and be gauranteed that I will get nothing. No love, no sharing...or I can keep trying and for every ten that hurt me, I will find one that is worth the world and at the end of some time, I have friends and loved ones and loners have a big old pile of 5hit! Nothing. Lonliness and all of the things they try to avoid.

I may have hurt and all that I , just the same as them, would like to avoid but I also have a few diamonds, and a few tears of joy. Something to look back at and think I am a better person for having tried.

I liked that compliment and even if he was on all kinds of drugs that help you die without pain, I will continue to cherish that compliment and not question it too much. I think I will stop the questioning of the legitimacy of his compliment before I question myself out of all hope. It is hard to have that when you have lost it all and have started over and are rebuilding a whole new kind of a family.

• love11
    love11

I've had many memorable compliments, all of them I really needed to hear at the time it was said.

My first was my kindergarden teacher- She said, "I wish you were my little girl".

My sister said, "You're going to be something someday".

Some guy waiting in my family doctors office, "Whoa.. I've seen the light". hahaha

Sandy, a guy who used to come into visit our art store, "You are really something, you are great, ***** is a lucky guy to have you".

There's more, but it's late and I'm going to bed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit