Your personal philosophy

by Terry 53 Replies latest jw friends

• target
    target

There are two statements I keep in mind:

1) Things are not always as they seem

2) somethings are true whether you believe them or not.

Target

• trevor
    trevor

Who is number one?

That would be telling.

You want information?

You wont get it!

Be seeing you.

Number 6

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

FF:I'm probably not the best one to ask, as I make this stuff up as I go along (see personal philosophy)

Logansrun and Megadude are two of the best-read individuals I know. I suspect they can help.
    I'll drop them a PM for ya.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Freedom Fighter,

I'm not sure what LT is talking about...I'm a philosophical wanna-be!

Well, as for texts, that really depends on your interests and the modules (class?) requirements. Is it for a research paper? Do you need original source material, or can it be a secondary source?

Plato's The Republic is probably one of the most popular and most commented on texts there is. If I were you I would go to the bookstore and peruse the philsophy section. Look for those really thin books like "Kant...for Beginners" or "Introducing Nietzsche." You can read one of those in about an hour. That should get you started on where your interest will take you.

My interest in philosophy has gone somewhat backwards; I started my readings with more modern philosophers like Nietzsche and Sartre and now have taken more of an interest in ancient philosophers like Thomas Aquinas and, heavens, St. Augustine.

Hope that helps!

As for my "pesonal philosophy"...I honestly can say that I'm in somewhat of a transition. I started out (after the JWs) as an extreme materialist and, what I may call, naive empiricist. I was attracted to all the "godless" philosophers, and my understanding of ethics was that of "enlightened" self interest. (There are many philosophical and psychological problems with this form of ethics...especially when one gets into "lifeboat" situations).

I've become somewhat more conservative when it comes to my value system. I still do not really believe in a personal God, but am much more open to the idea than I once was. I'm inclined to think of ethics as being about virtue and character, in the Aristotelean sense. Politically I'm both conservative and liberal.

B.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

My personal philsophy can be summed up in Victor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning." It's an easy but thoughtful read, and it's an outlook formed in the brutal hazing of a Nazi concentration camp.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I guess for me I believe that "You do the best you can with what you have."

Leslie

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Fab - I'm looking for an idiots guide type of thing. *Needs to think a bit deeper*.

Ta!

FF

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

it's a quotation from a John Wayne movie (The Shootist). I was raised this way, even with all the JW bullsh*t. I guess I wasnt much of a JW?

Anyway this quote sums it up and states my personal philosiphy to a "T"

~Hill

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hillbilly, your father smells of elderberries; just sayin' :P~

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

he does, now that you bring it up................. I havent shot anybody today...dont be the first.

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit