Your personal philosophy

by Terry 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I like Ayn Rand's simple variation on the usual Philosophy breakdown of:

1.Metaphysics (Objective Reality)

2.Epistomology (What do we know and how do we know it)

3.Ethics (enlightened self-interest)

4.Politics (social strategies)

Rand says:

1.Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed.

2.You can't eat your cake and have it too.

3.Man is an end in himself.

4.Capitialism

Do you have a simple Philosophy or system of understanding your place in the universe?

Terry

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Hmmmm ...

Terry, most of that makes sense to me ... and that is how I live my life. It is the most natural way I know.

Love

ESTEE

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

* You are here...

~Merry (of the it-doesn't-get-any-simpler-than-that class)

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is the real life. Make the most of it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Do you have a simple Philosophy or system of understanding your place in the universe?

I did in the past; but realized it was all abstract beliefs that when given credence, ironically, only separated consciousness farther from present moment reality; accomplishing just the opposite of what one hopes a personal philosophy will do.

Besides, how can I possibly know "my" place in the universe, when there is no clear realization of who I am to begin with? Any mental construct built upon a foundation of ignorance will likely only accentuate stupidity to the point that I think myself wise.

I can not tell you who I am, let alone where this unknown fits into the universe. It more and more looks as if there is no thing to fit in.

j

• talesin
    talesin

I always found ayn rand to be a bit horrifying ... capitalism and all ..

just to be is enough .. to enjoy being here, to listen, and understand what is being felt .. to feel a part of life, is enough for moi

*talks to the squirrel and grackle who fight outside my window every flipping morning!*

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Mine's a work in progress. So far:

1. The Golden Rule: start by assuming that everyone around you deserves courtesy and respect.
    2. Create beauty wherever you can.
    3. Life is not a zero-sum game.
    4. Leave room to improvise.

gently feral

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

In terms of understanding my place in the universe, I have a "faith" that science will eventually provide enough of an answer to how we came to be here and why we are what we are. I don't know how long it will take, but my faith that it will eventually happen allows me not to think about the details too much (I've got enough calls on my time, without having to be an amateur philosopher on the side!). "Reality is physics" I suppose sums up my "philosophy" (if such it can be called).

ig.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

Terry:

I have been an Objectivist since 1993 when I first read Atlas Shrugged. The scales fell from my eyes and I have never lived my life for another human being since.

When did you start reading Rand?

• Terry
    Terry
    I always found ayn rand to be a bit horrifying ... capitalism and all ..

Most people automatically assume CAPITALISM means the truly horrifying mixed economy we have here in this country. But, heaven's no! Rand advocated pure Capitalism without governmental meddling, wage or price controls, coroporate wellfare or the legal theft of billions through lobbying for preferential laws.

True Capitalism begins with this: you have the right to earn a living. You have a right to control the fruits of your own labor. You have full ownership of what you earn. Your personal property belongs to you and cannot be used by the government for their purposes. No person has the right to use you or your labor or your personal property for themselves without your permission.

The Capitalism we all grew up under here in America is nothing like that because it has been torn apart. For one thing, the government uses taxes to fund anything they want to do under the guise of "for the good of the country". The debts government runs up consists of taxpayer's money. We can't do anything about it. They can fight wars, bail out a bad company, reward politicos or dump it in the ocean and we must take it on the chin.

Don't blame Rand for what politicians have done. She was sickened by it too.

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit