Would you give your life to get your family out of the Watchtower?

by zugzwang 36 Replies latest jw friends

• RescueMe2
    RescueMe2

I don't have "family" in the JW's, only a couple of friends who to me anyhow are like family, but yes, if my death would GUARANTEE that they would see the real truth and get out, then yes, I would do it without hesitation. I would die for them.

• blondie
    blondie

Would I give my life to get my family out of the Watchtower?

Strangely enough, I faced that question in a different arena, alcoholism.

How to get a family member to stop drinking themselves to death.

I found that nothing I could do or give could make that happen. It had to come from within them; they had to see clearly and make the choice and go through the pain. I could not do it for them. There was no one I could barter with, offer my life for theirs.

Blondie

• love11
    love11

No

If my own children were even thinking of getting into this religious cult, then yes.

My family now is all that matters to me. The family I was raised with, has made it very clear to me that I am their enemy. Put it this way.......... I would never turn my back on them.

• Robdar
    Robdar

No. Why would I do that? They are old enough to make their own decisions and to live with the consequences.

• Swan
    Swan

I've been thinking about how one could do this. Actually, there are some methods one might use to help achieve this goal, but I don't see a guaranteed way to do it.

With the modern news media being what it is today, a spectacular death might focus attention on the estranged family and bring pressure to bear. Especially if it was a slow news day. This might tilt the odds more in favor of the family hearing the message and give them pause to think.

• upside/down
    upside/down

I did

u/d

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

Well this scientific study (not) so far shows about 60% said no, 20% said yes, and 20% said yes with conditions such as, "if I didn't have kids." I personally think I would. Of course that is easy to say because there is no way to GUARANTEE that my family "would see the light." That is why this was a hypothetical question, there is no way to actually accomplish this. (If it weren't hypothetical then maybe I would get cold feet and change my mind.) Similar to Jesus dying for all mankind there was no GUARANTEE that anyone would benefit from his sacrifice. He still made the sacrifice, even without the guarantee. So too, with this hypothetical situation, as noted by a few of you, you can't guarantee anyone else's reaction to your actions.

zugz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit