The most condescending thing said to you by the (sm)elders.

by diamondblue1974 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Goldminer:

I heard a stupid statement like that years ago. Apparently the logic is that because you are not looking it will fall in your lap or whatever! I don't believe this. And if it appears this way for some JWs it is because they have a large social network and the word gets out that they need work and something comes through. But as far as really doing without, my experience has shown that what's good enough for you is NOT good enough for them! And you can apply this to any scenario about them "doing without".

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Icansaylucky---your story breaks my heart! Sometimes I feel so f***ing p**ssed off at the WTS. Honestly I didn't know all the crap that was going on in the so called 'truth' until the past couple months when I started reading this website regularly.

I think I will go puke now. I cannot believe the heartless BS they are feeding people!

Every day I want to jump for joy that I left that horrible cult!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i really cant believe what these guys did to you......and by that i dont mean i dont believe..to talk to ANYONE in this fashion is bad enough..whatever their circumstances background religion mental capacity skills..i wouldnt even speak to a child that way (and even that sounds slightly condescending).. i can honestly say that i cannot think of any time when i would have treated someone so demeaningly.. ....but if i did then i apologize unreservedly..but to treat members of the 'true' religion that is supposed to be noted for its love amongst itself....well words fail me

i cant help but think of the cartoon----wacky races----the objective was not to win the race so much as it was to stop everyone else by putting obstacles in their way...thats what is happening in wts...jws liken their situation to running a race but rather than helping one another they just keep putting obstacles in front of their own brothers...if i still believed in a god of justice i couldnt see him being at all pleased about this

and the most condescending (not to mention life-threatening) thing said to me:- when the jc refused to accept that i was repentant instead believing lies and slander and making sure i had no opportunity to counteract it aswell as continuing to cut off all possible means of support i went to them to tell them that their actions were making me suicidal...the chairmans response..and i quote..."well other people seem to manage"

tijkmo of the 'no one was left discouraged by my shepherding them' class

• Chia
    Chia

Some of these are truly awful. I think one of the most condescending things, though I can certainly think of many, occurred after an incident with my mother. Whenever my mother and I get into an argument, she runs straight to the elders. So I met with the elders, stupidly, and one of them said, "You have a bad temper. It seems very irrational. Have you considered medication for that?"

I wanted to say, "Have you considered plastic surgery for your ugliness?"

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

luvtobeworldly, thank you so much. I've been disfellowshipped since I was 25, I'm 49 now. My ex husband remarried and abused the next wife as well, he's now on the 3rd wife. We have 2 adult children together so we are still in contact and we are actually friends. He is mentally ill and is the first to admit it and has apologized tearfully for everything he put me through. Funny I've never been apologized by the elders that gave me zero support. I've often thought of writing a letter to the elder that did that that day and letting him know that he's "counsel" was my turning point of not wanting to stay in the organization, let that hang over his head. 7 years later when I was disfellowshipped one of the elders on the committee ekpt repeating "she's not repenting, she needs to be disfellowshipped" he was also the one asking questions such as "did you touch him down there, did he touch you" etc etc. Later he was turned in and he confessed to molesting the young teenage boys in the congregation. He was disfellowshipped, but they never turned him in to the authorities.

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

When I was first dating my ex wife I meet with an elder whom I had a close relationship with. I told him I was going to start dating her and that we would follow the society?s rules. He said that it was fine if my intent was to marry her and not just dating for the sake of dating. 3 months later I get hauled into an elders meeting with the same elder and 2 other elders. It seems that my dating an older woman that already had a child was poisoning the hall. (I was 17 she was 20 with a 1 year old son.) The elders said I had to stop dating her or lose my privileges. According to the elders people in the hall had a problem with me dating her and I was stumbling others. I went nuts and started screaming at the elder who originally said it would be ok for us to date. The elders reply was that they didn?t think it would be an issue at the begining but now it was so we had to end it. Well instead of breaking up with her, I went out and got engaged three months after I turned 18 we got married. Funny thing is that the elder that told me to date her, then not to, ended up marrying us at the kingdom hall.

Well as you can imagine the marriage didn?t turn out to well and after 4 rough years we got divorced. Almost every one of my friends went thought the same situation. We all dated each other and ended up married in our late teens early 20's.

• Shania
    Shania

Hi TJ, I can't believe how heartless those brothers were to your emotional upset. I know you were an elder, but see you had a heart. We have to remember these men are no one special, they are uneducated men, they are not fit to judge others and certainly not in any position to give advice whether it medical, financial, or spiritual for that matter. Don't worry my friends God sees all and will judge them accordingly for their actions.-----------THEY WILL PAY FOR ALL THE HURT AND PAIN THEY HAVE CAUSED OTHERS, ALL UNDER THE NAME OF THE TOWER!

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

"Faithful sheep don't get easily stumbled. If someone stumbles they must have already been unfaithful."

Direct quote. I laughed, turned to and read Luke 17:1-3 aloud and asked, "Was Jesus right, or are you right?"

• greendawn
    greendawn

Shania can't believe how heartless the brothers were.

It would be good to redefine the word brother to mean someone who does not have the warmth and understanding that one expects to see in human beings.

Not just many elders but all GB members are people of little education and refinement despite their responsibilities hence the mess this org is in, rather than just thump the Bible they do well to read some human psychology and sociology. But if you try to tell them how to improve you are out, so nothing improves. It serves them right.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

A fourteen years old, I had the elders visit because I was having doubts, and I was trying to explain myself to them. One brother asked me if I had ever taken any classes in reasoning or logic. I said sort of: Geometry (you have to come up with those theorems). He said what I was saying (that there may be no god) had absolutely no logic to back it up. I felt so stupid because I was already a shy and awkward teenager, just trying to outreason men three times my age.

Then he proceeded to ask me if I had recently bought any used items, for example at a yard sale, that may have a demon in it. (Logic???????)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit