Is yours a PURPOSE DRIVEN life?

by Terry 32 Replies latest jw friends

• lamb_neo
    lamb_neo

Informing everybody that comes in contact with me that WTS is wrong, teribly wrong.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Is your life driven by a purpose?

When you were a JW your life had a specific purpose and everything you did worked toward it: surviving Armageddon and living on God's paradise earth for all eternity.

But-----that is GONE!

The void must be filled. Nature abhors a vacuum.

To quote from the Humanist Living Spring 2005 issue (Paul Heffron's article):

"...Suppose this life is all there is, that there's no god or eternal life. Since you have only this one life to live, the wisest course is to make the most of it. Pursue the enjoyment of a good life for yourself and contribute to the well being of others, for that in turn enhances your own well being. If you're right, you won't have wasted your precious time and resources on false hopes or expended your energy trying to please an imaginary diety. If you're wrong, you'll still most likely have made the best bet. You will have lived a good life and avoided punishment in an afterlife for not believing. Why? Because the most credible and laudable, however improbable, theological conception of a god is of one that is gradious and loving. Such a god would surely approve of your decision to enjoy the good life and contribute to the happiness of others. Such a god wouldn't withhold anything from you in this life or the hereafter, even if you couldn't believe..."
  • Country Girl
    Country Girl

It seems that you phrase that question that if anyone is not doing SOMETHING, that it doesn't count.

Can I tell you about my purpose driven life?

I have a purpose on this Earth. My purpose is to make sure that everyone that I love knows that I love them. My purpose is to make sure that I have lived my life well and good, that I have hurt no one, and that when I go into the Great Beyond that people will remember me with a good heart.

My purpose on Earth is to help children that have been abused by those that they trust to find a voice, and to help them give life to that voice.

CG

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was a kid (pre JW) I wanted to grow up and help other kids who had been sexually abused

Then I was sidetracked into believing my only purpose was what the WTS dictated

After I left I went back to my original dream and went back to school to learn how to work with abuse survivors - but the adults not the kids.

Since then I see my work as encompassing far more than child sexual abuse. It now encompasses all forms of abuse that people experience at the hands of others or of organizations organizations.

It has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done for myself and hopefully for others

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Informing everybody that comes in contact with me that WTS is wrong, teribly wrong.

Same here, and proving it with the WTBTS's own literature.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I've read this thread title for a while and finally decided to post. I'll admit, Terry, sometimes your questions are too deep for me.

My life never had purpose while I was a JW. Yes, I thought I would live forever on a paradise and whorship God. But, that wasn't a purpose, it was a result of my actions. You know being good enough to deserve the undeserved loving kindness of God.

As my doubts grew to disagreement I found that I lacked a purpose. Something I didn't even consider before.

Now that I'm much more mentally free from the Org. I want to have a purpose. Sometimes I think my purpose is to care for my family, both immediate and extended, other times I feel that it's doing a good job, still other times it seems that my purpose is just to live each and every day with some sort of enjoyment for myself and love for others around me.

I don't know which is correct. I just know that I feel better now that I've responded to a deep question posed by a deep thinker.

Thanks. Perhaps your purpose is to make some of us think a little more than we're used to.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

I have found that life has no purpose. there is no meaning of life.

the only goals that seems to matter to me are those which satisfy the needs that arise so as to restore my peaceful state of mind.

I deal with each one as they arise if I can, and coordinate those which cannot be satisfied immediately so that I can satisfy them later.

in seeking the perfection of each moment, I find greater peace then when I rejected the current moment because it did not live up to ideal fantasies from religious mythologies.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Terry, See my post on Two Camps.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Enjoy each day to the fullest as it comes as a gift. This is as good as it gets, there is no heaven or hell, so make the best of it. Strive to be a better person than you were yesterday without restricting the freedoms of others. The rest is all fairytales propagated by religion to control the masses.

Will

• Mystery
    Mystery

My sons are almost grown,

About to leave for lives of their own.

My purpose is becoming somewhat selfish

as my time goes on.

A Harley for my husband

with a comfy seat for me.

And a hammock by a stream

on a few acers in Tennessee.

Share this