Is yours a PURPOSE DRIVEN life?

by Terry 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Mac
    Mac

Nope......

pretty much driven by a Dodge truck and a Toyota van.....

mac

• mouthy
    mouthy

you simply would not believe how much (in my opinion) crap goes into the religion section and is nothing more than some goofball spouting the most obvious platitudes.Said by TerryI find that book offensive & New Age!!!! Yes I agree with you a lot of Crap goes on the Christian Bookshelves.

My purpose in life ( as long as I live) will be to expose the Watchtower Cult for the terrible wrongs it does to innocent people who are ignorant of scripture....( I know lots of you dont believe Scripture ) but I feel it is the closest info for understanding life---- than anything else I have read.
    I have said it before & I will say it again it is worse then Waco! worse than JonesTown! ( for you brothers??? that spy on this board.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Having passed on to the next generation an ample share of allels, that is no longer high on the priority list. Having contributed significantly to my chosen field, that is diminishing as a major priority, soon (within 30 yrs) my remaining purpose will be to provide fertilizer for future protoplasm. Until then, what ever I can do to help give perspective and innovation will be icing on a very satifying piece of cake. I guess that comes with being a life-long learner. You never stop expanding your horizons or giving back. Reciprocity, its all reciprocity!

carmel

• Krystal
    Krystal

My purpose ultimately, is to marry my adoring bf and raise beautiful, smart children who will NOT fall into the same trap I did. (and of course to further my career so I can retire at 30 and have millions! lol)

Short term: To meet myself. To discover that I can be more than an Elder's Wife. To figure out how to maintain a relationship without all the rules I have learnt.

I think I have my work cut out for me.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Terry,
    How can you make a judgement on this book when you have not even read the Book ? I am reading the book "The purpose Driven Life" right now (on chapter 10) It is completley backed by scripture and is a very informational book for those who ask themselves "why am I here" and" what is my purpose here in this life"

I personally think it is a book that all people should read and especially before I would call it crap. Just my opinion.

• DHL
    DHL

A few years ago I read an article about happiness in life. I remember one quote because it described so clearly what I always did: "Strive for the 100% to 1% rule: Never try to be happy for 100% but try every day to be happy for 1% one hundred times." That's what I did all my life. I enjoy all the little things: a (given or received) smile, a beautiful sunset, a delicious meal, a friendly conversation and so on. That gives me a lot of contentment and also often works as buffer whenever a single negative situation comes up.

I also want to learn. I feel my brain is a super computer. It wants to be fed all the time. It wants to be a handyman. So I try hard to please it. Next to books on various subjects, my daily newspaper, TV, conversations and other things, JWD also is a good food source, especially when it comes to threads like this.

So thanks, Terry, for provoking me to mull over the subject! Not that I never think about it but sometimes it is good to be reminded. And I really don't believe in coincidences. You always get what you need.

On the longer run I want to become financially independant, so I regularly invest 22% of my monthly income into different funds.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry,
    How can you make a judgement on this book when you have not even read the Book ? I am reading the book "The purpose Driven Life" right now (on chapter 10) It is completley backed by scripture and is a very informational book for those who ask themselves "why am I here" and" what is my purpose here in this life"

I personally think it is a book that all people should read and especially before I would call it crap. Just my opinion.

If you go back and (carefully) read my comments you'll see it was not I who called Purpose Driven Life (Warren) crap. I made a general comment about books in the Religion section.

I've skimmed at depth (did not read word for word) Rick Warren's book. Like most, if not all, the Watchtower publications, it teems (fairly swarms) with scriptureal references. But, I have to ask this: WHY ISN'T THE BIBLE ITSELF good enough for Christians? Why do they need gurus to tell them how to live their lives? Isn't god communicating anymore? Or, suspiciously, is it ALWAYS the mouth of somebody who KNOWS (a mere human) guiding and explaining?

I'd really take a look at that.

T.

• mouthy
    mouthy

If you go back and (carefully) read my comments you'll see it was not I who called Purpose Driven Life

(Warren) crap. I made a general comment about books in the Religion section ( by Terrry

It was ME!!! that said that book is no good. Yes it is a best seller but there is alot of New Age in it. Pure truth doesnt not need any adding or taking away. I agree !why not stick to scripture.?...Many have made money out of Scripture,,, But when we start pushing it ABOVE Scripture -I think it is wrong.
    I am sorry this will anger you BUT I was a JW for 25 years & I am FREE to express myself as are you.... & I will !!!!!!I have NO Tape across my lips!!!!Many may think I have a tape across my mind. But that is the glory of being free!! I CAN!!!! CAN!!! Think independantly as long as I am willing to duck the stones that will be tossed.
    Peace!!!!

• Jez
    Jez

The things that drive my life are: my family, my career, gaining knowledge, and to have fun in this life.

My husband is the joy in my day, my children push me to become a better person and my career is about literacy for Deaf children.

I love my life.

Jez

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I read the book and it was same s*** as the Jdubs push. It was given to me by a "Christian" friend of mine and being an open minded person I read it. The theme of the book was fear and guilt, do as I say or you will go to hell etc. I was not to impressed with it. Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit