Ok so you left the idea of God - what would it take to come back?

by Qcmbr 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doogie
    doogie

a personal appearance wouldn't do it for me. that would prove to me that he was a 3 dimensional entity and thus couldn't be "god" (at least not in the traditional sense of "god"). he'd be some sort of alien creature. if that's the case, then, like someone else said in this thread, i'd be impressed, but i wouldn't worship it.

honestly, there really is nothing that could make me "come back." there comes a point when explanations and excuses for inaction just can't cut it in my mind. the act of giving birth to a child is deserving of respect (reverence), but after a certain point, the parent has to start ACTIVELY parenting the child to continue to be worthy of respect. on the other hand, there's much that a parent can do (or not do) to stop deserving respect and "worship."

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I've worked so damn hard at fixing up the mess from the JWs and my shitty upbringing without God's help. I used to ask him for help, but I never got any. He'd have to provide something that was going to further improve my life, otherwise I don't need him. I've done and I'll continue to do everything without his help. I'd like the addition of (at least) 100 years to my lifespan. If he offers me a copy of the bible, or just some lame validation that he exists, he can forget it. Giving me life isn't good enough, since a good chunk of it was lousy. There were so many times I wondered why I was so cursed with a crummy life.

He provided that crummy life, now I want some payback with interest!!!

• upside/down
    upside/down

I think most people confuse spirituality with strong sense of emotion or feelings. That explains why people from EVERY faith are sure they "feel" their "God's" presence at one time or another. I've also noted that highly emotional people tend to percieve "God" in their life more than those that tend to be more "reason and facts" kinda people.

I reject the "God" of man made organized religions of all flavors. The true "God" cannot be what they claim he is and be the same Being that gave me the intellect to ask questions and seek answers only to be told to ignore all the capabilities He put within me and has relegated all matters pertaining to him to incompatent, high-control, liars. It's illogical. And conveniently keeps the masses enslaved to the varied faiths that promote total spiritual dependence on them, as the sole link to "God".

I think everyone needs to give "religion" a rest, and just live decent lives without sweating the details (like the Pharisees) and just be good little humans making the most of our short time here by working hard and enjoying ourselves. Gee... that's even in the Bible.

I never left the "idea" of "God", His so-called people left the idea of "me"!

u/d (of the who you callin apostate class)

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

The tooth fairy is a silly theory made just to entertain kids like santa claus and the easter bunny. The tooth fairy isn't even a religion.

God is from a religion!

Their are evidence from history of his existance eg. the bible.

Historians have also uncovered sites mentioned in the bible like the wedding a cana and where john the baptist baptised people.

Has the tooth fairy been worshipped since b.c? no it hasn't!

israel and jerusalem has been mentioned in the bible and such cities exist today

Religions offer the way god offers the way.

The tooth fairy just leaves a doller next to your bed.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

God doesn't take a peice of you he gives you many blessings!

God gives you light and eternal salvation!

God doen't act with our eyes closed if we look hard enough we can see his works in our everyday lives see him create paths for you! many christians see that happen but those who shun him wont!

The tooth fairy is influenced by our parents God was infuenced by our ancestors! The belief of god has been around since the beginning!

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

evanescence, you have serious problems backing up your claims...

you think god exists because the bible talks about jerusalem and jerusalem exists? so if jerusalem exists, the rest of the bible must be true? hmmm... i don't know if this argument is good enough to convince me.

i saw the movie "the day after tomorrow" (it wasn't worth the money btw) some time ago. new york city occured there. new york exists. are you sure the rest of the movie must thus be true too?

the tooth fairy at least leaves a dollar, god doesn't do anything. did you have any visible benefit (except the usual emotional placebo type) yet? did he ever leave a dollar next to your bed?

now if he'd leave me a mastercard with the name "jehovah god" next to my bed with the numbers 6666 6666 6666 6666 and it actually works, i'd definitely be a believer again. you hear me, jay? if you are all that omnipotent, why don't you do it? don't want to mess around with our economy?

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

The bible has been around for a long time and came from history that people have written down as true experiances

The bible is like a golden artifact, it is historical and contains Historical evidence.

The day after tomorrow is a recently released movie that is oviously fiction and was only made for entertainment purposes.

God gives you more than a doller, He gives you eternal salvation, he gives us peace and guidance. If we invite him into our lives

Would someone just make up the bible and claim it to be true? What about all the things that the historians have discovered?

What caused the big bang? their would of been some force that sparked it off

If you feel that god is not answering your prayers then go to bbs.crystalcathedral.org

Debate with them on this issue if you want a more in depth response

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    One point that has played many times on my mind (and is fairly central to my world view) is that if God exists its up to Him to prove it. What would it take for you to accept God?

I think you believe in god or you don't.

As humans we tend to believe in what we believe in no matter what.

There are many theories and facts to back up the fact that god exists, and there are many to disprove this.

It is what each of us choose to do with theese facts determines whether we believe in god or not.

For some people the truth can be staring them straight in the face or slapping them straight between the eyes, only of they choose to acklowledge this slap will they then believe.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Terry,

I'm just curious as to why people want to, long to, crave to be smaller than their beliefs.

Why make oneself small in relation to any idea? Is it a branch variant form of masochism?

Well I don't feel smaller than my beliefs. I believe that we all have God within us (not even within us, we ARE God, as is everything else in the universe). So whilst I choose to name and externalise God(dess) to some extent, that the basic grounding of my belief system. I don't prostrate myself to the Goddess, I rather recognise that in contacting her I'm contacting the divine withine me.

Sirona

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

evanescence, the bible is not one book, it is a compilation of books. some of them are very old, some of them are very very old. and they are definately not the only books that were around at the time. do you believe everything you read in the iliad and odissey? they are pretty old. historical. "historians" found troy. so it must all be true, right? the greek mythology actually contains a lot of religion and ethics, it actually makes a lot more sense than the hebrew mythology (although they are partially related anyway). a pantheon with gods who seduce sexy humans, are jealous and have hangovers seems to be a lot more acceptable than a single deity with attributes that just don't fit reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit